Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with the temp gauge giving the correct temp. of the engine I bought a new repo gauge I have a new resitor a new "corrected" sendeing unit it shows the engine is cooler than it is the sender is 100ohmes at 212 deg. the resitor is 83 ohmes any help? thanks, Marty

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I did some bench testing on a repro temp gauge and found the same thing you did.
I also tested several oem gauges and found that
270ohm would read 100deg
77ohm 210deg
50 250deg.

I also found that the shunt resistor only had a small effect on readings. It actually seemed to read better with no shunt.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have found the problem I removed the resitor from the back of the gauge this is a repo gauge it did not come with a resitor,without the resitor it has 100 ohmes between the top and the bottom terminals with the resitor installed it drops to 35 ohmes? the original gauge does not have any reading between the top and bottom without the resitor, with the resitor it will show whatever the resitor ohmes are, I have been told whatever the ohmes the is at sender at 212 is what the reading should be between the top and bottom terminals is it possible the repo gauges are made so you do not need the resitor? let know what you think thanks, Marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts