Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have goofed up when I installed the temp gauge back into the cluster. I didn't pay close enough attention when I took it out, & I think I need some help getting it back together correctly.
There are 4 studs holding the gauge to the cluster. They are oriented like this--

1 2

3 4

#1 is on kind of a hump that's part of the clock housing, and is silver colored and does not have a plastic insulating collar. 2,3,& 4 are all copper colored & have a insulating collar that protudes through the holes in the cluster to keep the studs from grounding on the cluster. #4 (I think) also has a bakelite insulating washer under the mounting nut. One of them did & that's where I didn't pay enough attention when I took it apart. There is an 84 ohm resistor that bridges across two of the connectors, and there is a plastic widget that bridges across the other two connectors, going over the resistor.
I put it back together with the resistor going from terminal #1 to terminal #4, grounding one end of the resistor at #1 to the housing, and insulating it from ground on terminal #4 with the bakelite washer. I installed the plastic bridge between terminals #2 & #3, and connected the spades to these terminals to attach the wiring to. After two 14 hour days, I reached the point where I could hang the cluster in the car & check everything out. It all worked 'cept the temp guage. Grounding the sender wire does nothing, I have continuity from the sender to the gauge, and 12v on the power wire to the gauge, so I think I may have something wired incorrectly. Any & all help is deeply appreciated.
:confused:
BL

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
From your description I believe you have it wired correct. This is a pic of an untouched gauge.

If need be I can check it (the one I have) a little closer to verify your connections.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like the way I wired it. If you wouldn't mind, could you take the nuts off & tell me where the bakelite washer goes? I think it's between the resistor & the housing on the #4 connector. Could you also measure the resistance between the terminals? I got the following with everything mounted to the housing.

#1 to #2-198 ohm to #3-147 ohm to #4-82 ohm
#2 to #3-51 ohm to #4-116 ohm
#3 to #4-65 ohm

Thanks for the help.
BL

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The gauge connections are .

#1 Grounds the gauge and the resistor to the gauge metal back. The metal back grounds to the light switch and wiper switch and to the upper left dash mounting screw to car body.

#2 Connects to the temp sender, green wire.

#3 Connects to +12 vdc, pink wire.

#4 Grounds through the resistor to #1. The insulating washer goes on first, the resistor goes on so that the nut/washer make contact with it.

I get the following resistance values in ohms.

1-2 130
1-3 120
1-4 83

2-3 50
2-4 63

3-4 113

I don't know if the gauge works or not.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Elree!! :D I think I know where I goofed--when I installed the spade connectors to the gauge I reversed them so I was getting hot on ground & ground on hot.
I put them on the way you said & now when I ground the sender wire, the gauge goes hot. Now I have to finish painting the bezel & get all of this mess installed in the car. Looks like another long night. :(
Thanks again,
BL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts