Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My temp guage in my 70 SS style dash goes around very fast while starting. Then just stays wherever it ends up after that? Any Ideas? I am getting sick of taking the dash out!!! Thanks for all of the help this web site has delivered to me in the last 2 years since I took on this "little" restoration project.

------------------
Pat"The Soundkat>^..^<"Hoffman
1970 Chevelle SS (clone)
http://hometown.aol.com/soundkat/index.html

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wow that is a strange one. I restore SS gauge clusters for my chevelle buddies in the DFW area and I have never seen that problem before. Can you give us some more detail. You say you have had the cluster out. What have you checked so far? Did it ever work right?

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts
Does it move when you turn the dash lights bright or dim? If so, look for a bad ground from dash to body.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here it is in a nutshell, I took the dash out of a 70 Monte(no air), used that harness and modified it as the "Idiot light to gauge conversion for 70-72 SS Chevelles" article I found on this site. Now I installed the dash and harness in a 70 Malibu(with A/C). Everything else seems to work fine except possibly the fuel gauge may read somewhat low(not sure since I haven't filled the fuel tank yet, just coming off a complete frame off restoration.) I did the mods to the letter and seemed to come out good, I used the Malibu engine harness but performed the mods to it that the article mentioned needed to happen also. (things that make you go hmmmm.....)I certainly appreciate the interest you all have shown in my little problem, as I just made it through emissions, got my plates and insurance and am ready to drive, this just worries me because it gets really hot in Phoenix(Yesterday it was so hot....I saw 2 trees fighting over a dog!
)and every(I mean EVERY) fluid I put in the car leaked after I had redone it(funny they didn't leak before I restored it it!) Yes even the washer fluid. I am somewhat fearful that it might run hot and I wouldn't know till......well lets not think about that. I really don't want to put a knee knocker temp gauge in it! I guess that wasn't really a nutshell eh? Thanks guys!

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS (clone)
http://hometown.aol.com/soundkat/index.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been reading other posts from this site and read somewhere that there should be a ceramic resistor on the temp gauge between the two horizontal posts, is this true, and should the fuel gauge have one of these also? If not I think I may have found the problem with both gauges(God will I feel like a bonehead!)Someone let me know! thanks all

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS (clone)

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Pat

Both gauges have a resistor. If the temp gauge doesn’t have one then that will explain the spinning when starting. An idiot cluster harness has a wire from the ignition switch to the temp light. The ignition switch grounds this wire to test the temp light each time the car is started. I don’t know why but the gauge dash harness also has this wire. My 70 ElCamino W\factory harness, has it, when I start it the temp gauge pegs.
The temp gauge does not have a mechanical stop, with the external resistor missing it can spin like a motor. The resistor is color-coded orange it is 86 ohms. You can likely find one in a u-pull it wrecking yard. Look for a late 70s to early 80s Chevy\GMC truck with gauges. There is a truck only u-pull it on west Broadway Road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elree, thanks guy, the first truck I looked in had a temp gauge sitting on the front seat with a orange resistor, how lucky is that? I was out of there in 3 minutes!Thanks for your help, btw what part of the valley are you in? Would like to see your car and show you mine.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS (clone)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Pat the resistor runs vertically between the copper and silver posts

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Hey Ya'll watch this...."

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phillip, how are you? Good I hope, on my SS style dash both the fuel and the temp gauge have the three posts on the back, one is on the top and the other 2 are on each side, I do not think the resistor would fit from the top to one of the sides and then it wouldn't really be vertical at that point either? My temp gauge seems to be stuck on 220, nothing is moving while I start it now, but it still seems to not be accurate at all, seemed to go from 210 to 220 though? Hmmm now you got me wondering about this, let me know if you are sure of this and I will appreciate it! Big time! Thanks guys

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS (clone)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts