Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup: I found this combo on the web its should produce 500hp 530 ft of trq.

396" 0.060 OVER
STOCK FORGED CRANK
FORGED TRW PISTONS SPEED PRO 10.1
STOCK 702 OVAL UNPORTED HEADS 2.19/1.88
XR274 MECHNICAL ROLLER (236/242....274/280 LIFT 639/646)
COMP 929 SPRINGS
COMP VERTICAL BAR LIFTERS
PERFORMER INTAKE
COMP HI TECH PUSH RODS 7/16
ARP EVERYTHING!!!

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
you won't won't be getting 500 out of that unless you have it dyno'd at the fabulous Westec magazine dyno. Actually, I'm not real sure there were any "stock 702 oval unported heads 2.19/1.88." You would need at least a competent bowl port after installing the larger valves along with a decent competition type valve job.

With that cam, compression ratio and iron heads you might be leaning over to the pingy side. if you have to retard the timing to kill the ping it do away with a bunch of horsepower and driveability in a hurry.

Where'd you find this magic combination?

With the Al heads you might get by a little better on the CR part. You'd be better off with the Roval or oval ports Al heads. GMPP and Edelbrock sell these, but gotta watch out for piston clearance issues.

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
you won't won't be getting 500 out of that unless you have it dyno'd at the fabulous Westec magazine dyno. Actually, I'm not real sure there were any "stock 702 oval unported heads 2.19/1.88." You would need at least a competent bowl port after installing the larger valves along with a decent competition type valve job.

With that cam, compression ratio and iron heads you might be leaning over to the pingy side. if you have to retard the timing to kill the ping it do away with a bunch of horsepower and driveability in a hurry.

With the Al heads you might get by a little better on the CR part. You'd be better off with the Roval or oval ports Al heads. GMPP and Edelbrock sell these, but gotta watch out for piston clearance issues.

Tom, one of our members has pretty much this exact combo, 67supersport I think. different head casting and intake but pretty close. I`m pretty sure he is also talking about installing the bigger vavles in stock heads because as you stated, they did not come that way.

I don`t think the compression will be a issue since you`ll probably be closer to 9.5:1 with deck height and gasket thickness.

The edelbrock 290cc RPM heads and the GMPP heads are pretty identical with the exeption of the 2.25 intake vavle on the GMPP heads which I think is a little too big for a 396/402 motor. I would go with the RPM heads myself.

I know Chad is runing pretty good with his 396.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

Even though you didn't ask me here is the link to two of the three build-ups of the 396 that oneg360 may be referring to. It is at Westech so the dyno numbers can be taken at the readers discretion. Interesting, informative and does a good job of comparing different levels of power and parts. Make your own judgements and analysis.

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=-138464216
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=1089817284

Edit: The above links are for a 396 with aluminum heads, not Chevy steel. Sorry for the mistake, still good reading. I started to delete but someone might find it informative but not the combo the initial poster was talking about.

·
Registered
11,984 Posts
I think a basic combo like that could make decent power. I think your torque numbers might be in the 480 range though.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
there's a lot more to Bob's numbers than heads. He has a very nice car that's about totally scienced out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts