Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the small wire that runs from the battery to the junction block on a 69. Is it a "fuseable link" wire? If so, what do I need to ask for at the parts store? If not, what gauge wire should I use to replace mine. It's getting cracked and pretty brittle. It's also white. Is that the correct color? TIA.

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
On a '68 it's a brown 14ga fusible link that's an integral part of the battery cable. I know you can get fusible link wire at NAPA in different gauges & colors. The fuse link wire is 4 ga smaller than the circuit that it protects, so if the wire at the junction block is a 10ga, you will use the 14ga link. On a '68 this 10ga wire is for the battery charging circuit that comes from the alternator output post. If you don't want to hassle with a fusible link, you could add a HD fuseholder instead, but I don't know what size fuse to put in it. The fusible link wire is usually about 2" long with a ring terminal on the end that's attached to the junction block and spliced into the wire to the battery on the other end and covered in heat shrink.

Hope this helped.

BL

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. I saw the fusible link wires at NAPA last week and it got me to wondering. So...to recap...it "is" a fuseable link and it "should" be integral with the battery cable. Well....my cables are just a standard set of NAPA replacements for a 69 big block. They do have the integral ground wire that goes to the fender, but nothing from the positive. So......that's why I still have the old, cracked white wire in place from the positive to the junction block.

Anyone else want to offer info on the 69 model year? Same as 68???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts