Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had the 70 SS rewired having a few minor glitches, was wondering if anyone knew the color codes for the tcs switch, what i see its orange and the another wire thats either dark blue or black with a pink or very light purple stripe, now, i ran trough the fire wall connected to switch found the blk/or dbl with pink or purple stripe at other end, figure this goes to the switch at trans, put test light on and closed switch(ignition switch on) but no power. am i using the right wires.what color wire goes to the trans for kickdown on a 70 turbo 400? thx steel

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Not sure I am following you. The switch you are refering to sounds like the tranny kick down for a turbo 400. On a 70 TCS there is a vacuum control solenoid, temp switch (with dual terminals, one for low temp and one for high) and an override relay. For a turbo 400 there should be a connector on the side that has two wires orange(to kick down switch under dash) and Black to tcs vacuum control solenoid on intake manifold. The tranny black wire is open in high gears and ground in low gears. The Blk/Pink is power for the tcs override relay, Green from temp switch to override relay ground terminal and Dark Blue from relay override switch to tcs vacuum control solenoid.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok my 70 SS does not have a cowl induction hood only a cowl hood, my M40 only has 1 prong coming out of side for wire to hook to,the orange/blk/pink stripe goes through firewall and hooks to kickdown switch at gas pedal, correct? now does these wires control the kick down switch at trans? So I see the two wires you are talking about 1 is blk the other is green. but as i said i only have 1 connector, is this wrong? thanks steel

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Are we talking about a 2 prong temp switch screwed into the head or am I thinking 72 again?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If your tranny only has one prong it is not a 70 and TCS will not work as designed. I can understand wanting to hook TCS up if you are going for factory original show points, but if not you don't want it to work. TCS was a poor attempt at pollution control and will only hurt performance. Without the tranny connection for TCS you will get full manifold vacuum all the time(which is good for performance).

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so you suggest not hooking it up, how do I get my kickdown off gas pedal to work, what i'm saying if I put the pedal to the metal I have to shift manual and I'd much rather it kick down itself. Is there away to bypass te tcs and use factory wiring to make the switch at gas pedal work like it suppose to? thanks steel

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) and the 400THM kickdown are 2 different circuits. If you have the kickdown switch and harness, you should be able to get that running without the TCS operating.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John I have both the items you said, need some help from a proffesonial such as yourself, can you help.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Not a pro, just an old guy faking it. Do you have any diagrams on the kickdown switch wiring? Those should help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.