Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the TCS solenoid that mounts on the intake manifold of a 1970 396 or LS5 454 w/TH400 have one or two prongs to plug the engine harness to.
The Ground up catalog shows two but the solenoid I have, I pulled off a 1970 396, 4 speed car and it only has one. Not 100% sure if this is an original or replacement. The part # is DR1114434. Anybody know? What would happen if I used this anyway and plugged my dual prong connector to the only place on the solenoid?

·
Super Moderator
9,573 Posts
It should have 2 prongs (hot and ground). I suspect the one you have has a broken off prong as they are separate inside the solenoid and 1 can easily be broken off.

------------------
Team Chevelle # 279
ACES # 3493
Cdn. Classic Chevelles and Beaumonts # 356
70 Chevelle SS 454/1966 427 Corvette
Fort McMurray,Ab. Canada
Ph 780-791-0871

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The TCS solenoid takes two things to operate. A ground and 12 volts. All the originals, I've seen, have two prongs into them. If the one prong unit works, sounds like the ground wire is tied to the body, so you only need 12 volts to the prong and ground to the mounting bracket. If you want to see if it works, try it off some jumpers on the battery. The TCS system is a major PITA to get properly running.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered the fact that one prong may have been broken off, but it really does'nt look like it.

If I don't get the TCS system working properly will it affect how my car runs, or will it just bypass the system and have full vacuum all the time?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes I remember this solenoid. Back in 96 when my car still needed to be smogged out here in California.. I got a neat letter in the mail to participate in the beta testing of the IM240 program. So I took the car in and they found the TCS wasn't working and failed the car. I went to a local Car Quest shop and took the solenoid with me. He didn't have one like it, but he did have one off a newer car. It's square, has the same plug but I had to mount it towards the front of the intake because the bracket was different. It looked stock when I got it done and worked great. I can get some pictures and possibly the AC Delco part number off the new solenoid if you'd like. The car ran worse with the TCS enabled. So if you are not doing a full on restore, I'd remove the parts and save them for a rainy day. It was a dog around town and then once it hit 3rd, it would run okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.