Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 1971 I know there was a wire that came out of the back side of the fuse block that provided power to the TCS relay system. As I recall it was hot anytime the ignition was in the "run" position.

Does anyone know the color of the wire and which wire it was exactly coming out of the fuse block? I can't remember....

Plus my TCS system is no longer in tact....

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
For 1971 I know there was a wire that came out of the back side of the fuse block that provided power to the TCS relay system. As I recall it was hot anytime the ignition was in the "run" position.

Does anyone know the color of the wire and which wire it was exactly coming out of the fuse block? I can't remember....

Plus my TCS system is no longer in tact....

Thanks!
Should be a 20g pink.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hhhmm.....interesting.....

I just took a look at the wire loom coming off the side of the fuse block half closest to the engine.....if I'm not mistaken this side is for the engine controls and such right? And the other half of the block is for the front lamps and horn?

Anyways the side closest to the engine I have a medium orange, a small pink, a big purple, a small black/yellow stripe, a light blue/black stripe, a dark blue/black stripe and a brown.

I believe the brown is for the alternator and the purple is for the starter. The orange....isn't that for the heater blower motor? And aren't the blue/blacks for the wiper? What's the black/yellow stripe wire for?

The pink is currently running the 12 volt source to the coil of the HEI and was this way when i got the car.....and I know this isn't the original wire.....so what was the original wire color?

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
What's the black/yellow stripe wire for?
Power for the wiper and washer. You had the others correct.
Junkyard Dawg said:
The pink is currently running the 12 volt source to the coil of the HEI and was this way when i got the car.....and I know this isn't the original wire.....so what was the original wire color?
A white with possibly a or/ppl strip. It was also cloth covered. To see if your pink wire is on the TCS circuit, pull the TCS fuse and see if you have power to HEI. If it loses power then your HEI is on the TCS circuit, if not then someone might have replaced the cloth wire. Its possible someone just moved the 20g pink to the original spot where the cloth wire was. Also a 20g is a little light for a HEI, in later yrs when HEI was standard, the factory used a 12g wire.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey are you sure it was a pink wire?????

I just went out and took another look....I remembered there were 4 extra smaller wires that were not being used.....a very small green, a very small blue, a very small tan and a very small brown....that I personally tucked away when i cleaned up the engine compartment nearly 3 years ago.

IIRC the green was for the temp dummy light and the blue for the oil dummy light....I was starting to think that I removed the tan and brown from the TCS relays when i removed them but my mind has gotten cloudy since then.

I happen to have an extra fuse block with some severed wires in my garage my dad got out of an old 70-72 Nova years ago....it looks like it has the same set up of wires my Chevelle does....

It also has a brown and a tan, both coming off the same terminal, both connected to a brown wire that hooks to the TCS slot on the fuse block....

The pink wire you speak of is also on the old fuse block and it looks more like a 16 gauge wire when it goes in on the engine compartment side of the fuse block. However on the backside it connects up with a 12 gauge pink.

To confirm this I removed the fuse from the TCS/Radio slot on the Chevelle, then with the ignition in the run position there was no 12 volt source at either the tan and/or the brown but the pink still had a 12 volt source. The green also showed a 12 volt source and the blue was even less than that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts