Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i am new to this site so if i make a mistake, please forgive me. Here goes; I have a 70 ss with a L34 396 with full gages. I am having trouble wiring ( as the original wiring was cut up by original owner) the TCS circuit from the right side temp switch. The left side temp sender is wired to the bulkhead but i don't know where the right side dark green wire is supposed to go. Please help.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Welcome to the world's greatest Chevelle site!

The T.C.S. (transmission controlled spark) temperature sender should be located on the passenger's side of the engine block. It should have 1 or 2 (on mine they are wired "together" in the same plug(came like that from the factory) dark green wires. These lead up to the T.C.S. relay mounted on the plastic gutter that holds other wires on the cowl. Just below the top of the cowl. On the driver's side of the engine block there's a single wire sender that runs the temp guage inside the car.

Bottom line is...make sure the guage sender works. This is what alerts you if something is wrong. T.C.S. is basically b.s. and most people just do away with this system. However, if you want a correct or show car, go ahead and connect it up. Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The TCS sender should have two terminals and as Coppertop states are wired together. This is called a wired "OR" circuit. If either terminal is active (ground) the relay is activated. The sender has dual temp switches in it, one for low temp and one for high temp. If the engine temp is below 82deg OR above 232deg the relay gets a ground from the TCS sender, the relay energizes, power is removed from the vacuum solenoind, and manifold vacuum is directed to the distributor.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coppertop:
Bottom line is...make sure the guage sender works. This is what alerts you if something is wrong. T.C.S. is basically b.s. and most people just do away with this system. However, if you want a correct or show car, go ahead and connect it up. Hope this helps.

Joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I'm going to bite on this one a bit.

When I bought my '71 Sprint, the previous owner (or someone in its history) had replaced the original "Invader 350" with a 396/402. The "big hammer" approach was used, meaning anything that they couldn't figure out or didn't want to mess with, was left dangling (TCS harness to temp sending unit) or cut (A?C wiring, tach lead to distributor, go figure!).

What could go wrong that the TCS system would report, and how would it report it? My Sprint has all the wiring (except the harness to the temp sending unit)When the engine swap was done neither the temp sending unit nor the TCS solenoid made it onto the replacement engine.

If I can safely remove all the TCS circuitry, that's fine, since I'm not trying to make an "original" car. But if it could save me some trouble somewhere down the road, it might be worth spending the $$$ for these pieces.

ADVthanksANCE

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project
All I need is time...and some $$$
"Tourist, go home! And take someone with you!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts