Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the motor back from the machine shop ,and itching to get this baby on the road before summer ends.I need help selecting a cam, here we go....
68 Chevelle ss
427 .30 over 2 bolt main
steel crank
speed-pro L2239n pistons(.438 dome)
049 oval port heads 2.19/1.88 with
some mild porting , 119cc chambers
10.8 compression on combo.
M-21
4.33 12 bolt
Car is mainly going to see the strip but may see some street use.A roller is out of my budget. Should I go Mech. or hyd. What about valve clearance with that big dome.Gene and Racer I hope you buzz in on this one. Thank you all.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Next time post this kind of question in the "Performance" forum and you'll probably get ton's of answers. I'm trying a Compe Xtreme 284 in my similiar equipped (.060) 396 It's kinda big but, I'm game.........

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"
Chevytalk Moderator
GMforums Moderator
"Jungle"Jim
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Paul thought you might be interested in checking out my 427 specs below on my web page.I'am running a solid crower cam and i like the way it idles at 1100 in park and runs great.I'am sure there is a lot of more modern cams out there that will work but this one sure does the job with my set up.Crane Gold roller rockers with the poly-stop nuts.I have a street fighter stall converter,not sure about my pistons dome size might be the .300 ones or the bigger ones they were already installed when i got it.I'am curious to see what suggestions you get.

------------------
My 70 Chevelle SS & 56 Pro Street Chevy

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I know racer1320 is partial to Ultradyne's so hope he has a good grind for you. Paul, if I was to rebuild my motor tomorrow, I'd run a custom version of my cam. Crane mechanical 13F00001. It sports 238/248 [email protected], .544/.567 lift and is done on a 108 LSA. The wider 114 LSa version is a great street/strip cam, but I could stand less idle quality for more power earlier on. With large port heads on a small 427, the wide LSA version actually seems more correct. Stock version idles at 950 and 15". I suspect the custom version is more like 1100 rpm and 11".

You can go more lift, but keep in mind more lift, more spring pressure, less longevity. If this is a drag car, you might want to use more lift, if its a hot street car that will see drag time and more than 3500 miles/yr, I'd stay a bit lighter on lift. Just IMO.

------------------
Member #62 Gold/ACES 03112
67 SS396(427-3X2)
Be Big, Be a Builder

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.