Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my Tarus Efan. This is a 2 speed motor. I have no problems wiring it. But I am wondering how Hi and Lo speed work together. Should there be power for lo speed when on hi speed, or should it be off and only power to hi. I am pretty sure only power to hi.

Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Are you using just the fan or other fan control components from the
Tarus. There should be only one power connection on the fan motor. Low speed uses an external series resistor, high speed gets full 12 volts. It may be different depending on the year car the fan came from. But I think all years are pretty much the same. If you know the year I can check for any year specific wiring.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My taurus fan is different, I have 2 sets of windings, no resistor. There are 3 wires, 1 hi speed, 1 low speed and 1 ground. Only one set of windings can be energised at a time. Low speed uses a slightly smaller guage wiring then the high speed, but there are no resistors. I did wire in freewheeelin diodes from both hi and lo speed positive wires to ground.

We are talking about the 3.8 liter V6 taurus/sable fans (desireable) and not the 3liter fan (undesireable)

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This is a partial cooling fan wiring for a 97 Taurus SHO. The red arrow is pointing to the low speed resistor. I checked other yeas, not all years, each has a similar configuration. If anyone has a specific year I will check. The 2003 has a resistor and also can run both fans in series. Three speed?, can’t say for sure as I don’t know what conditions operate the associated relays.

All that I’m going by is the Mitchell wiring diagrams. I rarely work on Ford products so I have no hands on experience.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't anything about SHO taurus fans. The one that I have and the ones recomended on this site and others are the same as the ones in the link below.
I know they were available on 3.8 liter V6's Tauruss and Sables from the late 80s to about 95.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.shtml

This is a 2 speed fan with 2 independent windings and no resistors.
The SHO fan may be a good cooling fan, but I don't think its the one meant, when people talk of the taurus fans. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts