Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have transmission fluid leaking from where the Converter slides onto the tranny shaft. Did I put too much fluid in it or do I have a bad seal or something. Any suggestions on whats the problem, how to fix it and how hard it will be? The transmission has been in the car, but not used for about 6 years, I recently put a shift kit in it. Its a automatic turbo 350.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
7d
probly the tranny input shaft seal,gotta pull the tranny back or remove it to change it.If it sat for 6 years,some of the other seals might be on the exit too.being the converter rides in this seal,you might want to dress it up with emry cloth befor installing the converter,after you install a new seal.hope this helps 67rat member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 08-26-99).]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Could also be the front pump seal, the big o-ring that goes around the housing that the seal you are talking about goes into. Either way, need to pull the tranny to fix. Once out, you should probably change all the external seals since such a PITA to get out.

------------------

·
Registered
485 Posts
Would bad seals also cause problems with getting the transmission to engage? That has been my problem, and the tranny leaks fluid in the same place that Squaty is referring too.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
this sounds like a pump seal,or the pump itself.seals shot,no pressure, no tranny engaging.if the pump seal leaks to bad,the pump cannot supply enough pressure to properly operate the tranny.I had a turbo 400,the pump went out,it would spin the wheels when off the ground,but simply would not move the car.could be a seal problem,but your pump might have left the state.67rat member #199

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Hopefully when you installed the trans you had the converter slid all the way into the front pump, so when you installed it you didnt tear the seal and push the converter into the front pump, destroying it....seen it happen.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
drptop
yep,seen it happen too,hard to do being the tranny wont mate to the engine right,but I have seen it done.rips it up.67rat member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 08-26-99).]

·
Registered
485 Posts
Rat,
I am am having the same problem. Wheels will turn when off the ground, but when I set it back down it does nothing. So this could (or is) be the pump (or just the seal) ? What type of headache am I looking at if the pump is bad? Can it be replaced?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have tried a couple of local parts places for a new pump and no one has it. One place will have to special order it. Before I prepay for the pump and order it, is there any wasy to make sure that the PUMP is the problem? Could a leaking seal be enough to keep the tranny from engaging?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
7d
I really cant tell you how to tell if the pump is shot,when the pump went in the car i talked about ,the car was destroyed,never fixed it.(200 dollar beater car)but I know it was the pump.maybe post a new post on this,might get the answers ya need.or pull that tranny and get it rebuilt,if the pump went,good chance other parts are on the way out.sorry cant help 67rat member #199

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Around here you can get a used th350 for $75-$100, I would just get another trans and swap it out. Less trouble then getting the correct puller for the pump and buying another one when there may be other problems.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.