Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever find their car's original engine years after it was removed? I'm thinking of doing some digging, see if anything comes up. Was anyone ever successful? I mean, how would you even start to look? Any pointers would help. Years ago I contacted , the owner of the car who owned it from 1985-1996, said he bought it from the guy who had the car in his family from the beginning. Sadly he forgot the guys name, but the guy was from Mason, Ohio. I haven't talked to him since 2006, I'm thinking of calling him up again...who knows...I just want leads and the slightest possiblity that it is out there for me to to do a full fledged search. :( Any advice? Or should i give up as it's probably pointless to try to find a 37 yo engine :sad: Anyone from Mason, Ohio?

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Anyone ever find their car's original engine years after it was removed? I'm thinking of doing some digging, see if anything comes up. Was anyone ever successful? I mean, how would you even start to look? Any pointers would help. Years ago I contacted , the owner of the car who owned it from 1985-1996, said he bought it from the guy who had the car in his family from the beginning. Sadly he forgot the guys name, but the guy was from Mason, Ohio. I haven't talked to him since 2006, I'm thinking of calling him up again...who knows...I just want leads and the slightest possiblity that it is out there for me to to do a full fledged search. :( Any advice? Or should i give up as it's probably pointless to try to find a 37 yo engine :sad: Anyone from Mason, Ohio?

I suppose that for everyone who says "Go for it" there are gonna be many who say "No way.... not gonna happen, never find it'. This is a HUGE long shot. It has been done, now and then someone does make the connections but IMHO it is a L-O-N-G shot. You have something in the Mason Ohio connection. On the other hand if the guy had no info for you when you called him in 2006 what makes ya think he has info now? W/O a name you are pretty much screwed.

The engine was removed from your car for a reason a LONG time ago. If it blew up before removal it likely went to the scrap yard or a land fill. I had a 67 Ram Air GTO, one of 741 that were made. 1 of 741 is a rare car considering the THOUSANDS of GTO's built in 1967. It would be worth a fair amount now with the original motor. The block cracked in the lifter valley area in 1970 or 1971. I can remember taking the old bare block to the scrap guy. The issue was to get that boat anchor out of the garage.

No one ever thought these things would have inflated values like they do today. That GTO block could have been repaired IF the crazy values we see today were predicted back then. I suspect the same thing happened to your motor. Somehting failed and the motor got yanked. Might be that it is in a garage somewhere but ............................ Same goes for the engine from you Chevelle if you found it and it was damaged it might be repairable. How rare is your CHevelle? 1 of 741 with the top end engine option? I don't suppose so.

Whatever you do don't get involved in all this restamping BS and correct date BS. The car is what it is now, restamping a block does not make the car what it once was and a date correct block from some other car is well...a date correct block from some other car, nothing more. The date correct block from another car is equal to a big "SO WHAT?" IMHO.

Having the engine originally deliverd in the car is a Nice To Have but if the car is just another Chevelle then I don't see that the motor makes a big difference in value. For the sake of originality it would be nice but beyond that I don't know. With all the restamping crap that goes on now an original engine can be fabbed up easily by a good restamper guy. If you had another block restamped then what is the real difference between what ya have now and what ya have with a restamp in there? The numbers would be right but the car still is what it is now not what it was when new.

Enjoy the car as it is and don't get to wrapped up in this quest. If you take a shot contact some car clubs in / near Mason if you can find them that might produce a lead. If you can find a group of old rodders from the day and ask..."Do you know who owned a car...blah blah blah" they might recall something. I remember a few cars from my home town and could answer that question if I was asked.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose that for everyone who says "Go for it" there are gonna be many who say "No way.... not gonna happen, never find it'. This is a HUGE long shot. It has been done, now and then someone does make the connections but IMHO it is a L-O-N-G shot. You have something in the Mason Ohio connection. On the other hand if the guy had no info for you when you called him in 2006 what makes ya think he has info now? W/O a name you are pretty much screwed.

The engine was removed from your car for a reason a LONG time ago. If it blew up before removal it likely went to the scrap yard or a land fill. I had a 67 Ram Air GTO, one of 741 that were made. 1 of 741 is a rare car considering the THOUSANDS of GTO's built in 1967. It would be worth a fair amount now with the original motor. The block cracked in the lifter valley area in 1970 or 1971. I can remember taking the old bare block to the scrap guy. The issue was to get that boat anchor out of the garage.

No one ever thought these things would have inflated values like they do today. That GTO block could have been repaired IF the crazy values we see today were predicted back then. I suspect the same thing happened to your motor. Somehting failed and the motor got yanked. Might be that it is in a garage somewhere but ............................ Same goes for the engine from you Chevelle if you found it and it was damaged it might be repairable. How rare is your CHevelle? 1 of 741 with the top end engine option? I don't suppose so.

Whatever you do don't get involved in all this restamping BS and correct date BS. The car is what it is now, restamping a block does not make the car what it once was and a date correct block from some other car is well...a date correct block from some other car, nothing more. The date correct block from another car is equal to a big "SO WHAT?" IMHO.

Having the engine originally deliverd in the car is a Nice To Have but if the car is just another Chevelle then I don't see that the motor makes a big difference in value. For the sake of originality it would be nice but beyond that I don't know. With all the restamping crap that goes on now an original engine can be fabbed up easily by a good restamper guy. If you had another block restamped then what is the real difference between what ya have now and what ya have with a restamp in there? The numbers would be right but the car still is what it is now not what it was when new.

Enjoy the car as it is and don't get to wrapped up in this quest. If you take a shot contact some car clubs in / near Mason if you can find them that might produce a lead. If you can find a group of old rodders from the day and ask..."Do you know who owned a car...blah blah blah" they might recall something. I remember a few cars from my home town and could answer that question if I was asked.

A sea full of engine blocks, tranny housings, .... I'm in over my head. It's soo sad, and the previous owner told me that the other guy had sold the car's console to some local for $20 before he bought the car, and its ss wheels went to some junkyard for $50. Im angry now. :mad:

·
Gold Founding Member
1,344 Posts
Just a thought . Try asking about your car and engine on some of the Ohio chevelle clubs forums

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a thought . Try asking about your car and engine on some of the Ohio chevelle clubs forums

I just sent one to "tristate chevelles" which serves "southwest Ohio" which i believe is what Mason, OH comes under. I even sent an email to 67 chevelle owner located in mason on cardomain, maybe he knows something.

·
Premium Member
13,571 Posts
The engine was removed from your car for a reason a LONG time ago.
I think that says it in a nutshell. If you had an inside track or knew where it was you might have a chance. You could get lucky and get hooked up. Chances of that are pretty low.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are right, what a pipe dream :rolleyes: If only i can get a hold of the previous owner before the one i bought this from, i can put all my uncertainties to rest forever. :(

·
Registered
777 Posts
I live near Mason. My boss has lived in Mason his whole life and pretty much knows everyone there (lived there 50 years). He is also a gear head and may know the owner or remember the car.

What's the guys name and what's the stats/history on the car?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live near Mason. My boss has lived in Mason his whole life and pretty much knows everyone there (lived there 50 years). He is also a gear head and may know the owner or remember the car.

What's the guys name and what's the stats/history on the car?
PM sent Rob.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Never say never...if you have names & numbers , that's a start, I found the original 3 speed tranny for my 66 a year or so after it was taken out of the car, sitting on a garage floor in Butler Missouri.
Granted it was only a year , but I did it the same way you started, calling the last person who had a # for another guy, that called his brother and there it was.:hurray:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm at a dead end without the man's name from Mason, OH who owned the car, the previous owner does not remember, so it will be hard to do anything, What about calling car shops in the area? does any one know an well known muscle car shops around mason, oh?

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
Somewhere I have a late 90's musclecar magazine that features a 1971 Hemi Charger R/T. The car was rusty and was missing the engine when the feature cars's Canadian owner bought it. Only 12 Hemi Chargers were imported into Canada for 1971. He did a masterfull job of restoring the body to concourse standards. Eventually he found a correct hemi for the car; actually he hit the jackpot. He found THE original engine to the car! Needle in a haystack indeed.

Heck, imagine that your LS-5 was yanked during the 1973 fuel crisis for a more economical small displacement small block. Stuff like that did happen. Imagine finding your original engine with the correct ancillaries and only 1 year's worth of running time.

Wake me up, I'm dreaming...:D

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
I can appreciate finding the original but honestly if you did after all these years if its still intact somewhere chances are its probably worn to bits.
Not trying to be a wet blanket :beers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts