Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I almost didn't post this just in case things go wrong and/or my hopes and dreams are shattered by the harsh reality of altitude and timing clocks.

Taking the new build to a test and tune this morning. 1/4 mile track in Pueblo Co (4662 ft) with a forecast for the sun and the mid 80s.

Have about 100 street miles on it and ran through a break in cycle for the new gears. Put it on the lift yesterday and installed lighter springs on the front coilovers, did a new car nut and bolt check, verified rear suspension set up, etc... so hoping it is ready.

I've been down a track a few times but am by no means experienced so I am very grateful that Mark is going to meet me at the track. It will be great to have a friend there to share in the experience and his knowledge will be very welcomed!

My goal has (for quite some time) been to have a 10 second pump gas N/A street car (it even gas cup holders :grin2:). Car is heavy (~3600) so I don't know if it will happen but we are going to give it a try.

It's a drive so I'm going to finish loading the truck and head out, wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Allen

Goodluck. You have a good shot if it hooks. So I guess the injection is working good?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Have fun !!!!!

Reactions: Blown1932

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
I was thinking of going and watch but have 2 people coming to look at the bug today, Hope all goes as planned for you. If you need anything send a PM. I live less then 5 miles from PMP so very close by if you need anything. I am sure Mark will get you going good.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
So Mark is going to tune it for you at the track?
BONUS!
Having the guy that built the engine tune it at the track in the car is huge.
Have fun and be safe.

Alan built the engine and did all the tuning, nice package!

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just made it home.

Great day at the track, Barometer had dropped and DA was around 8000ft

Breezed through tech and made a shake down pass (fresh build, wanted to make sure all was well). I messed up the burnout, not sure I even made smoke. Ran a 11.239 but car was very loose/felt like the front was floating on the big end. Got back to the pit and the toe was obviously towed out; didn't have my toe plates with me so I eyeballed it (shame on me) and headed back for another run. Better job warming the tires but still a bit short, front end still loose feeling but not as bad.

So:
- 1.580 60ft
- 4.450 330ft
- 1/8th 6.85 @ 101.54

and drum roll please...

- 1/4 10.738 @ 126.86

And yes, I was grinning all the way home! Didn't want to risk another pass until I properly address the alignment so we headed out for some grub.

Mark brought his square body 1/2 ton, I'll let him elaborate but suffice to say that I never thought it would run that quick given the specs. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As always, Mark's advice and assistance was much appreciated. I learn things every time we talk :thumbsup:

I may have screwed the package together but without following Mark's guidance (cam specs, checked out the heads, stopped me from making a stupid assembly mistake, dyno time, etc...) I can guarantee it would not have came out as well!

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did I miss the part about what cage you have?

12 point, prior certified but not current.

Are you using one of Marks convertors?

In hind sight I wish I would have, 4L80 manual shift with 3 disk converter (capable of lock up at WOT), Converter is 10" and super heavy, would be better off with a TH400, small dia converter and a gear vendors OD. I live 30 miles from town so hwy manners are important to a street car.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
very nice. sounds like a good first time out. more in her for sure.

Reactions: Blown1932

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts
Great job, with a talented accomplice....

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Impressive with the trans and air. Very well done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone.

The car is full of compromises to make it a better street car (heavy OD trans/converter, sound abatement, pump gas, sort of a full exhaust, full carpet, 20 gal cell, all steel except hood, etc...) so I'm super happy with the results. Without major changes to the combo and giving up street manors (like a trans swap) I think my areas for improvement are in the front suspension & ladder bar settings. Thinking about ditching the coilover springs (keeping the DA shock) and going with a full length spring that will store some energy and loosen up the front. After the front work, maybe experiment with front ladder bar positioning. Leaves pretty straight so for now the preload must be about right.

Thanks again
Allen

1 - 20 of 42 Posts