Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father and I have two turbo 350 trannies in the garage, one that was a low mileage rebuild with a 12.5" long tailshaft and one that is about to blow with a 6.5" tailshaft. The one with the 6.5" tailshaft will fit a Chevelle (it was out of a Nova), so I was wondering how hard it would be to take the 6.5" tailshaft off the blown trans and put it on the good trans with the extra-long tailshaft. We heard that you would have to completely disassemble the trans to do this, but it doesn't quite make sense. Is it possible to make this swap without having to take everything apart?

I wanna put a TH-350 in my SS while we rebuild the TH-400 or install a 4-speed in order to move it around the driveway.

Thanks.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Your not going to want to hear this, but yes it will require a disassembly. If you have an extra driveshaft just have it shortened to fit the good tranny. It would be a lot less work for you. You have to remove all the assemblies but you won't have to take the clutch drums apart.You will need a pump gasket and O ring, pan gasket and filter, ext housing gasket and rear seal. Get a book and it can be done at home. Keep everything CLEAN.
Check and see what a shop would charge you to do it. I have swapped the 2nd tranny for the hour and a half labor it takes to do it. The hard parts in one are worth quite a bit to a rebuilder.

One more thing, you will have to change the yoke on the driveshaft. Save your old one you might need it depending on which Muncie you get or if you put the 400 back in.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Gold Member #42
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 01-04-2000).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. My 400 looks absolutely mint inside, we're just gonna take it apart and free it all up and put it back together.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.