Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. I have a '69 Chevelle Malibu. One taillight was not working when I bought it. He told me it had a possible short. Now they are both out. I tried new bulbs as well as checked the fuse to no avail. Can someone please tell me where to start as far as troubleshooting. I am new to classic cars and I would appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks, MB

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There are two wires that go to the inside contacts of each bulb socket. The left one has a yellow and brown, right has green and brown. It's the brown wire that's the tail lights. Pull the head lights on and measure the brown wires to a good spot on the frame (ground). See if there is 12 volts on each one of them. If there is it's a problem with the grounds to the sockets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by: "Pull the head lights on and measure the brown wires to a good spot on the frame (ground)". Also, how and where are the sockets grounded?
Thanks, MB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nevermind, I figured it out. It looks like most of the tabs on the plastic socket are busted so it wouldn't fit firmly in the light assembly. Whenever I hit a bump or whatever the socket would eventually lose contact with the ground. Thanks for your help though. Being new I'm sure I'll have more questions. Stay tuned...
Thanks, MB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts