Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, on my 71, :confused: when i turn my headlights on, the tail lights work fine, but if i turn my turn signal on or hit the brakes, theres nothin. Its all the same light bulb. I checked the contacts on the plug going into the brake light actuator or whatever you call it. How do i fix this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am having the same problem on my '70. The suggestions have centered on another ground from the battery (neg) pigtail to the inner fender.(see my post below). I have not had time to try it yet but I sure would be interested if you figure it out. Thanks, Skip

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It's the same light bulb but the bulb contains two filaments. One for the brake/signals and one for the tail lights. Try:
Remove one of the bulbs.
Have someone step on the bake pedal.
Measure, with a meter or test light, the green (or yellow) wire to a good clean frame ground. You should have 12 volts from green to chassis ground as someone steps on the brakes. See if that's present.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Brake lights and turn signal circuits both go thru the turn light switch. Suspect the problem is with the contacts inside the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
try turning the blinker on and wiggle the hazzard light button on the column.I drove around pushing that button foward to make the blinkers work until I had a chance to replace the turn assy behind the steering wheel.Now I can drink coffee and drive.MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming, i am going to try every single one of these troubleshooting clues tomorrow after work. Thanks again and Happy Holidays

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, both brakes and blinkers work now. The two prong light bulbs were the wrong part # from what the computer at the store says. that might have been why the brake/signal prong burnt out but the tail light prong didnt. I replaced the burnt bulbs with the correct part # and all ends well. Thanks. I tried the volt meter while the wife tried the brakes. Worked great, thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts