Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1970 chevelle, Everthing works, but the tail light fuse keeps blowing out. The brake lights and blinkers work.

Also, not related to the tail light issue, the dash lights don't work at all.

thanks.......bk

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
bk

The two are related. The dash lights are on the tail light circuit. You have a short somewhere in the tail light wiring which also includes the front park lights. The circuit is brown wiring starting at the headlight switch it is routed to the bulkhead connector to supply the forward park lights. A second wire connects to the bulkhead that is routed to the body harness connector (the flat wiring that is run under the carpet to the trunk). In the trunk the body harness connects to the rear light harness. You need to check the brown wiring to locate the short. You can disconnect the body harness from the dash harness to see if the short is in the front or rear of the car. With it disconnected install a new fuse, if it doesn’t blow the short is in the rear wiring.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Yes, the dash lights are connected to the tails, and it has tipped me off that my tail lamps were out when I noticed the lack of dash lamps. Look for a pinched or damaged tail lamp harness in your trunk. This would be a pretty likely place for a short to happen. These wires run under the carpet and rear seat on the left side of the car.Pull the seat and lift the carpet a bit to look for damage. Also, check the license lamp, as it may be connected to this circuit, too. If it were shorted out, it could give you the same problem.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Think the first connector I would disconnect is the rear tail light connector. This is located inside the trunk on the left hand side by the hinge. Good chance it's in the rear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update, Elree Colby was right, it was in the brown wiring and it was up front at the turn signals. We did a temp wiring route because the new inner fenders don't have the holes drilled for the turn signals. The temp wiring job went bad. Thank you very much for the good advice. You guys are great!! and gals.......bk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts