Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To: John_Muha
Now that I see you guys troubleshooting a problem with Headlights, here is a big problem I have to see if you can help with my 1971 chevelle. I'm having problems with the tail and panel light. They don't work. I tried to power the orange wire directly from the (+) batt and found out it blow out the small fuse. I guess the dome light is hooked to these wires too since it's not working. The last problem I have is when turning on the high beam (blue light) with the floor switch my right and left turn lights both goes crazy

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"I tried to power the orange wire directly from the (+) batt and found out it blow out the small fuse."

Why do you power that orange wire from the (+) battery? Is there 12 volts on the orange wire?

"The last problem I have is when turning on the high beam (blue light) with the floor switch my right and left turn lights both goes crazy"

It sounds like you may have a ground problem. Do all the outside lights work correctly?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I powered the orange because there was no voltage.
I read somewhere that you mentioned that there is a ground close to the battery that goes to one of the fenders that is the one for the tail and dash light???

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yes, there is a small ground wire from the battery. It goes from battery (-) to the right inside fender. This is the ground for both the tail and dash lights. Also it is the ground for everything inside the car.

If you don't have power on the orange wire I would try and fix that. Most of the time it is a problem with the fuse clips.

Measure both sides of your TAIL LIGHT fuse with a meter. Scratch the clips that hold the fuse making a shiny spot. Measure the fuse clips with your meter. You should have 12 volts on both sides. Post back the results.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John:
Bingo!!! I tooked the light switch out and use a contact cleaner. Move the snob around and in and out several times. That bring back the power to the orange wire. Then, I found the ground you m entioned on the fender which wasn't connect it and correct the high beam/ turn lights problems. I'm only missing at this point the horn which is trying to sound when I push the switch and the right switch in the door post that turn off the dome light when closing the door which doesn't have any power in. Thanks a lot for your inputs!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You still may want to clean up the tail light fuse clips in the fuse block. The light switch orange wire gets power from this fuse. Still sounds like this area may cause you a problem later.
Door switches only ground wires. There is no 12 volts on them. Does the dome light come on when you turn the headlight switch knob until it clicks?
Have you tried making the horn work under the hood? The SMALL black wire goes to the horn button (switch). If you ground the relay where that wire goes to, the horn should work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, Will go for the small fuse clips.Will clean both clips and will add a new fuse. Will wwork with the horn. It is trying to sound when I push the bottom but lloks like a ground or something is missing. The left door switch is working fine. When I open the left door the dome light goes on. If I turn the switch also goes on. But the right door is dead. Nothing happens when open or closing the door. What the white wire to this switch really do??

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Horn
The horn may be bad.
1, Unplug the large wire on the horn.
2, Use a spare piece of wire (large gage). Touch one end of this wire to the horn where you took off the wire.
3, Touch the other end to battery (+). The horn should honk.
4, Post back the results.

Right Door Switch
The white wire on the door switch gets grounded. When you open the door the switch button comes out and grounds the white wire. If you touch the right door switch white wire to ground the light comes on. Maybe a problem with the switch caused by rust. You can try cleaning it.

*EDIT*
You said "Will go for the small fuse clips.Will clean both clips and will add a new fuse."

That is the DASH lamp fuse. The orange wire goes to the TAIL light fuse. Think the tail light fuse is #3 on the left side of the fuse block.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 11-04-2002).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I powered the horn directly and it sound. Probably the way the cables are connected to the relay or a bad relay??
On the right door switch I'll try to touch the white cable to ground to see if work.
Also, any idea why I get a hit of current when touching the wiper switch front button while the car is on??
Will post results

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"I powered the horn directly and it sound. Probably the way the cables are connected to the relay or a bad relay??"

Good. Connect that wire again. On the horn relay there is a small thin black wire. This is the one you need. There are other black wires but it is the THIN (20 gage) wire to work with.
Unhook this thin wire from the horn relay.
Use your extra test jumper wire.
Touch one end of the jumper wire to the relay terminal where you have removed the thin black wire.
Touch the other end of the jumper wire to car ground.
The relay should close and the horn honk.

"Also, any idea why I get a hit of current when touching the wiper switch front button while the car is on??"

It sounds like the switch is not grounded. Maybe another problem but first look at the switch ground. There should be a small black wire attached to the switch. It goes to the screws that hold the switch on the dash. The other end, of this black ground wire, goes to the metal frame near the switch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John, Thanks a lot for this very important info!!!
Will schedule for this weekend. What about if once I ground the relay contact the horn works??
Just noticed that the wiper switch is missing the ground wire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts