Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost both tail lights, side marker and dash lights tonight. The tail light fuse was blown. I replaced it and it blew again. I appears as though the problem is related. Head lights, Brake lights, and dome light still work.

Any ideas before I start tearing everything apart?

TIA

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Does the fuse pop as soon as you turn on the lamps, or does it take some time? If it pops instantly, then you probably have a severe short. If it takes some time (as mine did) then it may be a dirty fuse holder which makes a high resistance connection to the fuse. This resistance makes heat which weakens the fuse. If it is high resistance, you can feel the heat on the fuse with your finger, but be careful, as it can burn you.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by John_Muha:
Does the tail light fuse pop if you don't turn the headlight switch on?
No, nothing happens. However, when I pull the switch on and watch I can see the filiment start to distort like it's going to burn through. Push the switch in and it straightens out?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'd try what JW suggested first using a new fuse. Next I would unplug the rear harness or pop the rear bulbs out and see if it quits doing that.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John and JW. I pulled the rear bulbs, inspected the assemblies and put them back one at a time. It appears as though the left rear socket needs to be replaced. The contact for the tail light was pushed up (probably by me) and was making contact with the metal of the socket housing. All of the lights are working properly now but I need to replace that socket.

John, are you keeping count? How many beers do I owe you now.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts