Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry no chevelles here but have a 99 2 door Tahoe 1ton 454 4l80e 8 lug 4wd ramjet 502 intake 411pcm multI coil setup. It's a weekend only driver no towing just hauling ass.Its heavy heavy 6klbs 4.56 gears 33 inch tall tire I have my parts set out for my engine but want to see what tall think recommend or would change.
Callies compstar 4.25 stoke forged
Callies compstar rods
Icon ic789 pistons 60 over 2618 alloy 20cc domes
Brodix race rite oval 270cc 115 combustion chamber.
No cam but will use 1.8 rockers
Most likely 2500 stall.
Any recommendations or changes please advise and thank you

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Love the 2dr Tahoes, I've had 3 over the years and wouldn't mind having another.

Have to ask, Why a 496 build when you already have a 502 to work with? If you wanted to do a stroker, why not do it to the 502 and end up with a 540?

Either way serious overkill, but I like overkill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love the 2dr Tahoes, I've had 3 over the years and wouldn't mind having another.

Have to ask, Why a 496 build when you already have a 502 to work with? If you wanted to do a stroker, why not do it to the 502 and end up with a 540?

Either way serious overkill, but I like overkill
I don't have a 502 just a vortec 454 and have pieced a ramjet together (have loved it since I laid eyes on one. It's also drive by wire which is more badass

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I eventually will go to a dart big m block and run boost. The 2 doors are bad ass. Dnr use to have many when I was young 6 years etc and have loved since. then it's my hotrod. Don't want no car Ilol I have owned 3 as well 2 greens and my love black and grey 2 tone. I am looking for another black and gray 2 tone. one all factory and one full built

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Anthony, I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish ( your goals ) with this project??

Can you please go into more details of your goals?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anthony, I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish ( your goals ) with this project??

Can you please go into more details of your goals?
My goals let's see bad ass diesel destroyer I get in as well as wife and kids drive to track run the hell out of it for awhile take back home and do again.. possibly tow my friends drag truck once literally once so I can say the tow truck and race truck are both faster then your ****... I no it will never be a 10 second car 1/4 or 7 second 1/8th but I will try to get there. If it blows then I learned buy better parts or head to the doc to get the lead out the foot. No But it's my 70 Chevelle my prize my style.. I get bored I go mess with it I am an auto tech for a living but never really fully designed a motor from scratch. I have built a handful of motors but never my own complete.

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go pick up a 8.1 vortec from a salvage yard, call raylar engineering and buy one of his kits or one of his crate motors. Install in place of 454. Hook up the ecm, change the firing order and tune. Now you have a diesel destroyer.
Vortec 8100 8.1L Chevy GM Performance Parts - GEN 7 Big Block - 496MAG HO Marine Performance Parts - Raylar Engineering
thanks but go buy an 8.1 496 Rylar engine when I have a 496 in front of me. Why change again and have to have a company build some ting for me when I can build myself. I jus have never built a 6k heavy truck for performance.. yes yes the 2 don't mix I no but I want to make it happen to some extent.. besides 10 psi would Def make me have wings if it still is not enough.

·
Registered
124 Posts
definately get a custom cam for this project, raceritres are nice for this as you should shoot for peak power sub 5500... make a torque monster , ...

bottom end is overkill in my opinion , but then again just spray this!!!!

custom modern lobe high lift hyd roller in 220's 230's ....

get a custom camshaft for your goals!!! best piece of advise i got for you...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
definately get a custom cam for this project, raceritres are nice for this as you should shoot for peak power sub 5500... make a torque monster , ...

bottom end is overkill in my opinion , but then again just spray this!!!!

custom modern lobe high lift hyd roller in 220's 230's ....

get a custom camshaft for your goals!!! best piece of advise i got for you...
yes I agree i was looking at eagle rotating assembly it's 2300dollars callies crank 900 ( also has all 8 weights on/by Center bearing unlike eagle is missing them) callies rods 670 pistons and pins 600 still need bearings and rings but it's almost even money wise. I am younger i have bottles laying around from old projects. .. i also drive everything like I stole it. So i over due everything for my feel better deal. when I redo with the dart big m block everything will go to that except pistons hopefully But I just keep adding and adding. I build drive redo keeps me sane aND busy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So talked with lunati they recommended a 646 lift Intake and exhaust 240/250 duration at .50 on a 113lobe separation custom grind.

Motor is 4.25 stroke 4.31 bore 20cc dome static compression is 10.5 to 1 brodix rr bbo head 270cc intake 115 combustion chamber have a 502 ramjet intake setup 2500 stall 4.56 gear 34 inch tall tire
Does that cam sound sufficient for a heavier 2 door tahoe 4wd 4l80e

·
Vendor
9,310 Posts
So talked with lunati they recommended a 646 lift Intake and exhaust 240/250 duration at .50 on a 113lobe separation custom grind.

Motor is 4.25 stroke 4.31 bore 20cc dome static compression is 10.5 to 1 brodix rr bbo head 270cc intake 115 combustion chamber have a 502 ramjet intake setup 2500 stall 4.56 gear 34 inch tall tire
:surprise:

Get rid of the 1.8. Not a good idea for an endurance deal. You don't need anything close to that big of a camshaft.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts

Those runners are pretty small for a 496". 320 + will be much better.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
if your truck didnt have factory fuel injection i would recommend a cam on a much tighter lca like 108 and maybe a bit less duration. you would gain a lot of torque. im not sure he does them but i would call straub and get a recommendation

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Get rid of the 1.8. Not a good idea for an endurance deal. You don't need anything close to that big of a camshaft.
yes when I seen the lift on cam I fig I would stay with 1.7s.
What cam would you recommend I have purchased everything lsited except the heads as I fig I would have this problem once I got to the cam selection I am an auto tech built many engines but never designed from scratch

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if your truck didnt have factory fuel injection i would recommend a cam on a much tighter lca like 108 and maybe a bit less duration. you would gain a lot of torque. im not sure he does them but i would call straub and get a recommendation
yea I have been reading and see him mentioned a good amount... he chimed in so I got lucky lol

1 - 20 of 58 Posts