Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried hooking up my tahc, new circuit board, and even using jumpers
am I doing something wrong?

will an aftermarket tach work any better?
e-mail me any tips

desperately in need of help

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't think my aftermarket tach was working anymore either, even with it hooked up. And then a friend cam by and found that I didn't have the little green wire connected all the way onto the fitting. It's a bear to get sometimes, you can here the "click" of it sliding on but most of the time it is just sliding past the terminal. Try messing with that connection a few more times before giving up.

------------------
'70 Malibu *For Sale*
Engine Less
Tranny Less
10-Bolt 2.73 Open
------------------
'72 Nova
355 L-31 Vortec
TH-350
10-Bolt 2.56 Open w/ Rally Suspension
3,071 lbs. w/ Full Cell

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have a GM HEI on my 72 Monte Carlo(same as Chevelle) and the original tach works just fine. No modifications were necessary except the plug-in connector at the distributor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are there any conections othe than the circuit board (tabs) on the tach?
are there any wires that I will have to use as jumpers? I know there is a 12v & tach pin on the back of the tach.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 70Bowtie:
I didn't think my aftermarket tach was working anymore either, even with it hooked up. And then a friend cam by and found that I didn't have the little green wire connected all the way onto the fitting. It's a bear to get sometimes, you can here the "click" of it sliding on but most of the time it is just sliding past the terminal. Try messing with that connection a few more times before giving up.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not familliar with stock tachs, but as far as my aftermarket one (Summit), it has a white wire for the lights which I plug into the fuse block terminal labled "Lts". Red wire goes into a 12v source on the fuse block like "Assy". Black to ground, and green to the tab labled "Tach" on the dist. cap. The tab labled "Bat" on the dist. cap. goes to the fuse block terminal labled "Ign". Hope some of this helps.

------------------
'70 Malibu *For Sale*
Engine Less
Tranny Less
10-Bolt 2.73 Open
------------------
'72 Nova
355 L-31 Vortec
TH-350
10-Bolt 2.56 Open w/ Rally Suspension
3,071 lbs. w/ Full Cell

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes there should be a brown wire that connects to the negative side of the coil

------------------
71 SS-454 El Camino

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TH:
Man, now you got me thinking...is there a brown wire for the negative side of an HEI coil? I don't remember that on ours. There should just be a TACH and BATT terminal far as I know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The brown or green wire discussed above is the wire from a tach to the coil. This would tie to the TACH terminal on the HEI. The HEI coil itself only has a short copper wire with a clip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the help
this is a great location for all us guys to hash out - the quirky stuff that seems to kust keep us from what we like to do - drive!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tried hooking up a new tach (stock)
not installed to the dash
coil post on tach - to hei tab
12v post - to batt hei tab
w/case grounded.............."nothing"
just a slight pulse of the needle

any suggestions???????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts