Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. guys don't laugh,

I've got a '72' 402,TH400,4.10,26.5" tires. Since I bought this car (about 2 months ago) I thought the tach was inaccurate, but tonight I found out for sure. I was testing speedo to see how far off it was, trust me it is off. My wife drove next to me in her car with cruise set at 50mph. My car was showing 74mph. Based on this I know I have some speedo gears to deal with. Now, on the way home I'm cruising at a cool 50mph (chevelle time) and I'm turning 3700 rpm's. I know the speedo and tach have no relationship together, but when a tach simply hooks up to the coil for reference, how can the rpm's be high, and I don't mean double. I've always thought this was the case, but I guess I was in denial. By the why, ignition is MSD connected to tach terminal on back of printed circuit board.Based on published formula for rear end ratio,tire height,true mph, I should be at 2619 rpm's at a real 50mph.

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Tach wire is separate from dash wiring harness. MSD = Multi-Spark-Discharge and your factory tach may not be compatible. MSD sells a tach adapter that should solve your problem.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.