Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a lot of postings relating to steering box changes and most say that if you use a TA box ('76 box w/ 3 turns L-L) you must change the stops. I don't profess to know anything about the internals of a steering box and I am not afraid to take it apart and learn. I can change the stop on the end of the box, but my pea brain tells me logically if this things moves down in the box to a stop then it must move up in the box to a stop. Soooo, I must have two stops to change or else I will have a longer turning radius to the right than to the left. If I have to take it apart are there special tools required? Having some trouble here. TIA MikEC

------------------

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mike,
The end cap is the only stop. I too had a hard time believing this, so I took apart my 72 Elky box and took apart a '88 TA box. The housings were the same inside. But, I still used my original box with the '88TA's internal parts to avoid the metric hassle. After 1980 the threads are metric. You won't have that problem with your '76 box, but the ratio is better in the newer boxes. You'll have more like 3 1/2 to 4 turns with that box. Its probably about 14:1, while the newer boxes are 12.7:1. I also have a steering gear swap page on my web site you may want to look at. Click on my profile for the URL. Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.