Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Track had an outlaw day Sat. 1st time out with new MT Drag Radials and open headers.
Went from 28 x 11.50 ET Streets to 295/65/15 ET Street Radials

Run 1
7.07 @ 97
11.15 @ 119.56

Run 2
7.04 @ 96.92
11.13 @ 119.46

Run 3 - New best by a tad. Dropped shift points to 6k
7.05 @ 97.91
11.08 @ 120.69

Have a bog off idle that I really need to fix.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I dont know if the tires helped the R/T or I was just more focused, but cut some much improved lights for me. .010 .056 -.008
Best runs 3 weeks ago in similar heat, but more humid was 11.43. Do you think picking up with open headers may be a sign my headers are too small - 1 3/4"
Exhaust is 3" Flowmaster Knock Offs dumped at axle.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I dont know if the tires helped the R/T or I was just more focused, but cut some much improved lights for me. .010 .056 -.008
Best runs 3 weeks ago in similar heat, but more humid was 11.43. Do you think picking up with open headers may be a sign my headers are too small - 1 3/4"
No, your exhaust system is too restrictive.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I have always liked a good length of straight pipe after the headder.
I would say a minimum of 18" , most of my stuff is closer to 36"

But i have never been one to run small primary pipes, and the exaust flow on my heads was always near 80 percent of the intake flow,

You won't know till you try what each combo likes

·
Registered
613 Posts
Track had an outlaw day Sat. 1st time out with new MT Drag Radials and open headers.
Went from 28 x 11.50 ET Streets to 295/65/15 ET Street Radials

Run 1
7.07 @ 97
11.15 @ 119.56

Run 2
7.04 @ 96.92
11.13 @ 119.46

Run 3 - New best by a tad. Dropped shift points to 6k
7.05 @ 97.91
11.08 @ 120.69

Have a bog off idle that I really need to fix.
Are you saying in similar air 3 weeks earlier, you ran 11.43,,, now open headers 11.08 and 120.69?

And your previous best, what kind of air? LJ

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LJ - Thats correct. Previous best was in Nov. 65 deg with 60% humidity.

Prev best 11-3-08 DA was -581
8-15-09 DA 1863

·
Registered
613 Posts
LJ - Thats correct. Previous best was in Nov. 65 deg with 60% humidity.
I have not looked up the DA yet for the specific dates , but may be able to post it later.
I new your combo had a lot left in it. Runs much better with correct airways,, non-restrictive. 3.5 tenths was from Horsepower that is already in the engine. And Jeff is correct with the extensions.

You will be deep into the tens this fall. LJ

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I new your combo had a lot left in it. Runs much better with correct airways,, non-restrictive. 3.5 tenths was from Horsepower that is already in the engine. And Jeff is correct with the extensions.

You will be deep into the tens this fall. LJ
I agree the extensions would help , problem is I like running in a street class that requires a muffler. I had a broken Ex hanger and Sat. was T&T only so I just pulled the pipes for the heck of it.

Problem also is - I loved the open pipes. I could here the car much better with the helmet on and could have heard the smallest miss going down track. So that has me considering some bullets or race mufflers.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I built a'78 nova for a friend and installed the warlock mufflers 3" pipe and 3" mufflers no bends.......The mufflers have a straight through pass when opened.. think that would work

·
Registered
613 Posts
Robb,, just for the record for this EXHAUST thread,, what size pipes and name of mufflers do you run now? LJ

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
I agree the extensions would help , problem is I like running in a street class that requires a muffler. I had a broken Ex hanger and Sat. was T&T only so I just pulled the pipes for the heck of it.

Problem also is - I loved the open pipes. I could here the car much better with the helmet on and could have heard the smallest miss going down track. So that has me considering some bullets or race mufflers.
I ran my 427 with the 3.5" Dynomax bullet mufflers. It didn't slow the car down at all and in the garage you wouldn't even notice them. At the track next to an open header car you can hear the slight difference.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exhaust is 3" Flowmaster Knock Offs dumped at axle.

Dynomax is what I have been looking at.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Robb, way to go!
Did you try the radials any with the exhaust and or the 28X11.50s with open exhaust? I was just wondering what the tires did for you with your gear.

I feel confident that when the Oct air gets here, we'll both see some high tens. I would like to try mine with open exhaust but I'm thinking .10-.12 is all I'll see. I haven't run since May. I usually go just for some good #s, so the street is all mine sees in the summer. Good luck.

Danny

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Robb, way to go!
Did you try the radials any with the exhaust and or the 28X11.50s with open exhaust? I was just wondering what the tires did for you with your gear.

I feel confident that when the Oct air gets here, we'll both see some high tens. I would like to try mine with open exhaust but I'm thinking .10-.12 is all I'll see. I haven't run since May. I usually go just for some good #s, so the street is all mine sees in the summer. Good luck.

Danny
No Danny I did not. I had planned on it Fri. nite and instead broke a wheel stud and spent the evening fixing that and the Pass. side muffler strap had broken..... so just pulled it off.
The pipes are going back on for some more runs.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Great times Robb....that thing is hauling! Just a good tail wind away from 10's!

By the way, how did you get your car to 3500lbs?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks vince. I have a list of things removed in another thread, I will find it and send it to you. Mainly it is no roll cage , light wheels and all the a/c stuff removed any old lines ,brackets etc. I have only used the track scales... so they could be off ?
Still has full carpet & seats , radio & heater controls. Not fullly gutted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts