Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been beat to death, and i did search/read just about every post on it. I just acquired a complete T-56 setup from a 1995 Z28 and will probably take the plunge to install behind the 454 in my 70 Chevelle, which was originally a 4 speed car. Still has the "magic pedal." I checked out www.t56kit.com, but that kit only seems available for earlier F bodies...Can anyone point me in the right direction for any info i may need? I want a 100% understanding of what is needed so there will be minimal surprises for a 70-72 application. I know a TH350 yolk will fit, and i believe i need an 11" balanced flywheel? A pic of trans tunnel modification would be a home run as well. Please don't suggest a TKO 5 speed, as i have no interest. I think the six speed should be nifty with my 4:10 gears and my taller rear tires....Plus it's what i have, and i know the history of the trans because i have owned the car it came out of =) Any tips would be awesome. I am going to double post this into trans and driveline as well just in case that is a more suitable area for a question of this nature.....Thanks in advance to all and any replies!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
A T-56 in stock form won't live very long behind a big block that is making any sort of substantial power so you may want to look into upgrading the internals to G-force spec or something of that nature. I know Scotty is building up a T-56 for his turbo 71 with the internals from a viper and an Srt-10 truck. He will be able to help you a little bit more with the details of the tunnel mods as well as the crossmember which i believe is a flip the mount over and re-weld ordeal. Should be alot of fun and was undoubtedly cheaper than a TKO-600 and it comes with an extra gear to boot..

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
doesn't Keisler make a bolt in kit for a T56 into pretty much anything?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I checked out www.t56kit.com, but that kit only seems available for earlier F bodies...Can anyone point me in the right direction for any info i may need?
Call or email the guys at http://5speedtransmissions.com/ . I know the name looks like they can't help you, but they know what they're doing. If you send me a PM or an email, I can send you pictures of my tunnel mods, but you'll have to wait a few days as I'm currently travelling for work.

Except for the fact that you already have the tranny, the LT1 style T56 will be more expensive for you because it does not convert as well. If you had a LS1 T56, all you'd have to change is the crossmember, tunnel, driveshaft, and the clutch (if you didn't already have a 26-spline input shaft).

A T-56 in stock form won't live very long behind a big block that is making any sort of substantial power
I wouldn't go that far. It may not live long behind something with drag slicks racing every weekend, but in a car that spins the tires a bit, you'd be surprised what they'll take. There are guys running sub-12's in LS1 F-bodies that are still using stock trannies.

Also, I'd like to try to steer you way from Keisler. I bought all my conversion parts (adapter plate and pilot bushing) from McLeod, but I run a LS1 version.

Good luck!
Ryan

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I wouldn't go that far. It may not live long behind something with drag slicks racing every weekend, but in a car that spins the tires a bit, you'd be surprised what they'll take. There are guys running sub-12's in LS1 F-bodies that are still using stock trannies.

Also, I'd like to try to steer you way from Keisler. I bought all my conversion parts (adapter plate and pilot bushing) from McLeod, but I run a LS1 version.

Good luck!
Ryan
If taken care of it may last a while but in the same light a good friend of mine's 02 Z28 that made 380rwhp started having tranny problems with his T-56 even though he was running sumitumos and couldn't hook up at all and the car was taken to the track only once and he never powershifted the car.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A T-56 in stock form won't live very long behind a big block that is making any sort of substantial power so you may want to look into upgrading the internals to G-force spec or something of that nature. I know Scotty is building up a T-56 for his turbo 71 with the internals from a viper and an Srt-10 truck. He will be able to help you a little bit more with the details of the tunnel mods as well as the crossmember which i believe is a flip the mount over and re-weld ordeal. Should be alot of fun and was undoubtedly cheaper than a TKO-600 and it comes with an extra gear to boot..
I think you would be very surprised plenty of stock T56s living in 10sec F-bodies. Get a good clutch and add steel shift forks later on.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
This may have some info:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138350&page=2&highlight=T56

I am biased towards the T56 after a LT1 Z28 and a C5. The C5 turned 43x rwhp and I never had a problem with the trans. I have shifted F-body T56s never coming off WOT, the linkage on the C5 is bit a funny as it is in the back so I had to lift just a touch to keep it off the rev limiter.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If I can offer any tech advise I have some experience and can try to help if you want to do something strong.!:D

I also have a few viper parts for sale. A Viper tailshaft housing, 1 SRT10 shifter, 2 Viper GTS shifters, a Viper front plate, and 2 complete used sets of syncros, keys, and shift pads.

The T56 from a viper will handle 1000+ hp with ease. Easy swap, very easy!

I chose to rasie the driveshaft tunnel also as my car sits pretty low. Without doing that, there is not way to get correct driveline angles.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great input guys! Scotty, that looks like quite the bulidup! Will the viper internals work in an LT-1 Tremec? I just want to make sure i'm not getting too far in over my head with this mod. If i didn't have the trans available i would never be able to afford the swap right now. My 454 is pretty modest right now, i'd estimate 450HP or less. If i leave the auto in it, i will easily be able to drive it by mid-spring. If i start the swap, i'm sure that will set me back a bit. I may drive it for a season first so i can try to do the buildup a little more towards strength orientated. If i simply add a Ram or Centerforce clutch, do you think the stock camaro unit will hold up to the big block? Not sure of the torque specs of the engine, haven't even started it yet....My project is so backlogged at the moment, i don't even have wiring back in the car yet....lol Thanks for any and all input guys!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I know this subject has been beat to death, and i did search/read just about every post on it. I just acquired a complete T-56 setup from a 1995 Z28 and will probably take the plunge to install behind the 454 in my 70 Chevelle, which was originally a 4 speed car. Still has the "magic pedal." I checked out www.t56kit.com, but that kit only seems available for earlier F bodies...Can anyone point me in the right direction for any info i may need? I want a 100% understanding of what is needed so there will be minimal surprises for a 70-72 application. I know a TH350 yolk will fit, and i believe i need an 11" balanced flywheel? A pic of trans tunnel modification would be a home run as well. Please don't suggest a TKO 5 speed, as i have no interest. I think the six speed should be nifty with my 4:10 gears and my taller rear tires....Plus it's what i have, and i know the history of the trans because i have owned the car it came out of =) Any tips would be awesome. I am going to double post this into trans and driveline as well just in case that is a more suitable area for a question of this nature.....Thanks in advance to all and any replies!

We have a way to help you mount up the 6 speed from that car to utilize a factory 4spd bell. It will make it an easier swap. you should be able to slide your crossmember back. This will however require floor pan modifications and the shifter will end up farther back then the factory location.

Call me if I can be of assistance.

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
for those of you that say an LT1 F body T56 is weak- is it any worse than putting a Saginaw 4 speed behind a healthy 355 in a Nova or Monza?
cuz i've seen those supposedly "weak" little Saginaws take an almost amazing amount of abuse in both kinds of cars..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have a way to help you mount up the 6 speed from that car to utilize a factory 4spd bell. It will make it an easier swap. you should be able to slide your crossmember back. This will however require floor pan modifications and the shifter will end up farther back then the factory location.

KG,
The parts you can supply will mount the T-56 to a muncie bell? I don't have one, but if it will make the project that much easier, i may try to locate one...

·
Registered
32 Posts

Is there a chance this would put the shifter comming up where the bench seat is? :confused: i'm going t56 so long as i don't have to give up my beloved bench seat... WAY too many fond memories with that icon of teen living :D

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Is there a chance this would put the shifter comming up where the bench seat is? :confused: i'm going t56 so long as i don't have to give up my beloved bench seat... WAY too many fond memories with that icon of teen living :D
There is a way to relocate the current shifter forward but you have to be a transmission pro to tackle the Job.

I have a forward conversion for the T56 transmissions and it would help clear the bench. the shifter is also a definite upgrade to the factory shifter. The rear postion would be postioned under the bench.

Gene

1 - 20 of 33 Posts