Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I install a t-56 6-speed trans from a wrecked 95 z/28 camaro on my 1972 chevelle(350sb)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The T56 is a real bear to retrofit in your car. The front of the tranny is completely different with a pull type hydraulic clutch, a separate bearing retainer that mates to newer bellhousing with different bolting. The body is much longer than other trannys and your crossmember would have to go back maybe 6 inches or fabricate a new one. Speedometer is electric as is the computer aided gear selector set up that restricts 2 and 3 gears. If you can convert your car to the hydraulic clutch and get all the parts from the donor car, it may be possible, and this is a super transmission. Lot of work. tom

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with Tom! There is a lot of fabricating required to install the T56!

Do you really need two overdrive ratios?

You should think about the Tremac 5 speed. From what I've been able to figure out, it bolts right up to a Munci bellhousing. The only thing that bothers me is the availability of parts a couple of years down the line.

Wes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what I have heard the Richmond Overdrive six-speed isn't that difficult a swap. Has anyone got any experience with this one?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good point Wes, on the parts availability. I'll have to think about that before I invest in one next spring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been very curious about Forte's Tremec transmission also. It is advertised to be a direct replacement for the Muncie, but it appears to be a top loader. Anyone have anymore info on this setup?

G

·
Stephen: I contacted Forte www.ultranet.com/~fortes about the Tremec. I don't have their e-mail here, but if I remember correctly, they said they don't know if the trans tunnel would need surgery or not on a Chevelle. They did state that for 67-69 Camaro, no cutting would be required, but for a 66-67 Chevy II cutting WOULD be required. They never got around to checking on a Chevelle. They also said the cross member would have to be moved back a few inches. (i'm not sure about shortening the driveshaft; i'll check). In order to utilize the stock shifter hole, you would have buy a special shifter from them ($269) that relocates the shifter's position on the trans. The shifter will accept any Hurst bolt-on stick, as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Tremec, Larry. If there is no need for tunnel massaging in the Camaro, I doubt there would be in the Chevelle. The shifter was the main thing I was concerned about. I wonder if there adapter is anything like the "dogbone" piece that was fashioned in the swap that was featured in September's issue of Chevy High Performance. They did the six speed swap into '69 Camaro. The swap did not look that bad, but the crossmember required some extensive fabrication and the person who installed the trans fabricated a piece that cups around the knob on the toploader, then came down a little to clamp around the stock shifter handle.

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 10-28-98).]

G

·
you're probably right about the trans tunnel. About the shifter, I don't know. But they did say that the driveshaft would have to be shortened, since the Tremec is longer than a Muncie.

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
The T-56 doesn't look that hard to retrofit. You can make a plate that bolts under the master cylinder to hold the clutch master cylinder and bolt it to the clutch pedal through the existing hole. the plate I think should mount flat to the fire wall then have a 22.5° bend to propperly angle the clutch master cylinder. You need to get a special flywheel for the new LT-1 style pull clutch, unless you are swapping in a new LT-1 also. The crossmember must be moved back and some hammering done on the trans tunnel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Richmond 5 speed works good. You will have to move the crossmember back a few inches and shorten the driveshaft. Make sure to get the linkage straightened out and then hang on! I'm using one in my 69 SS with 3:08 rearend gears. The great thing about the 5 speed is, you can go for a LONG ride on the highway without sending the tach in the red! At 70-75 mph you're only doing 2-2500 rpms.I drive mine to and from the drags from Springfield, Mass, to Lebanon Valley Dragway in New York. It works fine for street and strip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed a tremec TKO in my 68 Camaro and it was a breeze. The driveshaft has to be shortened 2.5 inches. Also, if you get the TKO the u-joint at the yoke is different. The yoke is u-joint size is larger than the driveshaft size. I know dana makes a u-joint for it. I love mine. The throw is short and crisp and the transmission can take a pounding. I have a full roller 391 that was dynoed at 490 hp. I strongly recommend the Tremec. I bought mine from Fortes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys,check out www.gearzone.net for info on manual trans and rebuild kits.
John

[This message has been edited by John (edited 11-04-98).]

[This message has been edited by John (edited 11-04-98).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Questions for 64MalSS; With your Tremec conversion from Fortes, did you get a spacer or adaptor that fits between the transmission front mounting face and the bellhousing? Was your input shaft shortened? Did you have to do anything special to get the correct clutch spline engagement? Thanks. tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
The transmission bolted right up to my chevy
bellhousing. The muncie is 10 spline and the
tremec is 26 so I bought a centerforce dual
friction 26 spline clutch. The clutch linkage
is all the same. The tremec for gm comes with
an adjustable shifter but i still had to move
my console a little. Overall it is not a lot
of work. The results are well worth it. If
are more interested just email me. I did the
instal this summer so I remember everything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One more note on my first reply[Richmond 5 speed]: YOU may not have to shorten YOUR driveshaft... I had a custom one made up for my Chevelle. Other than moving the crossmember back a few inches, its a bolt on.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I put a Richmond 6 speed in my 71.. You need to move the crossmember back about 3 inches and replace the driveshaft yoke with one for a turbo-400. The shifter sits about 3 inches futher back than the muncie, so I had to move the consoul back for the shifter. I bolted the muncie shift handle on the Long shifter and the installation looks stock from the inside. With 3.08 gears in the 12-bolt 2000 rpm is 70 mph in 6th. 80 mph in 2400 rpm. It sure makes crusing down the interstate fun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.