Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what brand synthetic oils do you think iis best and why??...

mobil 1 purple stuff other???

how often do those of you using synthetic ie mobil 1 (not blended) change oil...

6000? 9000? 10,000 miles??

filter at each oil change also ..correct??

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 11-05-99).]

·
Registered
403 Posts
Castrol GTX Full syntec synthetic.

Good price and every 6,000 miles. Synthetic oil NEVER breaks down. Only reason to replace is contaminants like dirt and hydrocarbons, etc.

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Mobil 1 and you will never regret it. depending on driving conditions if you drive it a lot like me i go 5k miles but i drive it 2500 per month any less i would do it every 3 just to help clean it up.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
47 Posts
The guy who built my 502 swears by the Mobil 1. He does a lot of engineering analysis for some of the major manufacturers, and has a Professional Engineer license. I trust his judgement alot.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 502-580HP

·
5,856 Posts
I run Mobil 1 in my 68 Elky w/468" and Redline 10W40 in my 90 ZR-1. I think Redline is a better oil but it costs twice as much.
Clint

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Anyone know anything about "Royal Purple " oil?

------------------
Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36

·
Registered
738 Posts
Mobil 1 is tops and so are just about every other reputable synthetic manufacturer. Mobil 1 is what I use, and no, it is not because of the English fella on the commercials!

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 in my daily driver since new in 1988. I have changed the oil every 10,000 miles or twice per year (saves time) and when I last replaced the valve cover gasket at 160,000 miles there was absolutely no sludge or contaminants in the valve train. It literally looked like brand new. The car starts easily in the winter and now consumes or leaks about one quart every 6,000 miles.

My highest recommendation for Mobil 1. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec. I can not tell the difference in them. They both do an excellent job. I use it in my Chevelle and my daily driver (Volvo wagon, yes I know it's an import). The deciding factor with which one use is the price. I have been able to get 5 quart jugs of either oil at Wal-Mart for $10 on sale!!!! When I find them on sale, I'll get 6 jugs or so at a time.

I change the filter with each oil change.

Hope this helps.

Dave B.
Auburn, IN

[This message has been edited by Dave B (edited 11-11-99).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Please remember that the MAJOR reason for changing oil in a gasoline fueled internal combustion engine is to remove contaminants from your oil system. These include products of combustion (blowby), unburnt fuel, water,acids which are formed,and particulate matter (metal and dirt grit)and probably some others.
Your oil filter only gets the big (relatively speaking) stuff, thus the small particles,acids, etc continue to circulate.
Going to longer change intervals simply allows more accumulation and concentration of this crap.
Use whatever good grade of lubricant you wish, but CHANGE IT AT NORMAL INTERVALS (that's another discussion)
Oil breakdown in 1999 is NOT a problem. Years ago, additives did fail after a while, but not today. Synthetic oil is fine and dandy

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Something else to consider. New engines or engine rebuilds. Our sprintcar motor builder recommends a nonsynthetic oil for the breakin period of the motor, then go to the synthetics. Problems with rings seating I think.

------------------
1965 Chevelle
Maroond
In the beginning...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I cant say enough about Mobil One. Ive run it in my 92 GMC and have change the oil every 7000 to 9000 miles. I now I should do it more often. It now has 240,000.00 miles and uses less than a quart between changes. Id like to buy a new truck but it has too many miles for a good trade in and it runs like new and I cant throw it away. I dont know if its GMC or Mobil One but one of them are the best Ive ever seen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have been thinking about changing over to synthetics but had a few questions.Using the same weight (10w40) will my oil pressure change? Also do you have to flush the motor or something when you change over? How long should you run on regular oil on a new motor before changing over?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I was going to post what 283v8 did! Oil not only gets dirty and your filter clogs up, but it also turns acidic! These acids present in the oil attack bearings and other vital metals. In time they will eat away at metal surfaces. I use Mobil 5W-50 in my '69 Chevelle and change it at regular 3000 - 3200 miles. One nice advantage about synthetics is when you go to strip your motor down the internals are squeeky clean!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.