Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to switch to a HEI distributor from a manual one. Does anyone know if theres a kit that will let me use the original tach or just the face in the original tach. The problem is I dont want to mount another tach anywhere.The tack is manual also. Thanks

[This message has been edited by shark565 (edited 10-01-99).]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maybe someone here can help you with the correct wiring but Im almost positive you should be able to use your old tach. I know i wasnt a big help ,sorry

------------------
Proud owner of a 66 chevelle. later, Nick a.k.a POPS
Member #387

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Shark

Before switching to HEI you should check out Pertronix. I have installed their electronic ignition in 4 of my cars and it fits under your stock cap for only about 70 bucks. I would not buy anything else. It is a simple change over just take out the points and condensor and put in the electronics. It only takes about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
Shark,
When you say your tach is manual, by any chance do you mean it is cable driven from the dist?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
826 Posts
Geez, I didn't know they made those anymore! I thought those were a thing of the past (am I showing my youth here?). How do those hook up?
Sorry, sort of off the topic. My .02, check Tech Reference for the install on swapping an HEI. Make sure you run a 12 or 10 gauge wire to the dist.

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
If you are running a stock Chevy tach drive distributor, as was used in Corvettes, just use the Pertronix electronic module for a stock looking conversion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.