Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting a new body for my Elky in the future and I would like to switch the cowl and VIN tags from the old body to the new one. Is there a special way to do this? Does anyone make special rivets for the VIN tag so it looks original? As far as I know, the old rivets would be drilled out and couldn't be saved and new ones would be put in. What about the cowl tag? That doesn't look like it has rivets. What do I do about this. Thanks for any help. Also, if anyone out there has a sibling to my Kaileigh please let me know.

1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
136800B122947 | 11-17-69
Green Mist w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP Dual Exhaust

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Why not use the title from the new body? This would leave you with matching body and title numbers, but mismatched frame numbers. When you start moving VIN tags around the car may be unsellable if it needs to be inspected for the next owner to get it registered.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to use the old ones because then the VIN number would match the engine. Also, since I would be using the old frame that would match too.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Rivets are for sale in hemmings every month

·
Premium Member
128 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
You are still confronted with the situation of being inspected for body , frame and title numbers. If your car is inspected for these and they find that the numbers do not match, you will have some problems. Havng your car confiscated will not be fun. This can happen when the car is sold to a new owner. If you sell it to a lawyer, look out!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where are the other numbers on the body? I was unaware that there was other places on it besides the VIN and cowl tags.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes there are vin numbers stamped on the body.I didn't have to take my Elk completly down (no rust) but I have seen them on other chevys, on fire wall under the heater box, roof struts, package shelf,floor pans. Law enforcement has info on locations for each model year. However as long as you have title for the numbers there shouldn't be any problem as they are primarly concerned with stolen vehicles.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
287 Posts
In Canada it is ILLEGAL to change / transfer your tags from one body to another. Harley is right too... There are body #'s etc... all over the var, when I resto'd my 64SS they all magically appeared when eveythng was cleaned and blasted.

I would check with your local law enforcement to see if you can do it and watch yourself because in various states/countries the laws are different.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada.
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm

·
Registered
117 Posts
First of all, let me say that I am not in favor of switching VIN tags. I am sure that you want to do this for a very practical purpose and are a honest and equitable person. If this type of thing was legal, I guarantee that some unscrupulous person would do it to gain some financial advantage and the end result would be an unsuspecting person like you or me gettin screwed.
On the subject of VIN numbers stamped in various places on the body. I've been told that the VIN number is stamped in the front corners of the trunk opening. I have a 66 Malibu that I am doing a frame-off on. The numbers in the corners of the trunk on my car are not VIN numbers but model numbers. The left side is 213617 and the right side is 1361723. They both contain the sequence '13617'. The quarters have never been replaced and the numbers are original. Are there actual VIN numbers stamped somewhere?

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838

·
Gold Founding Member
63,942 Posts
Besides being on the frame, I have seen several 70-72's with the VIN stamped in the firewall behind the heater plenum.
They are hidden in other places too
(hidden "cop numbers")
we really don't want to give away too much information here to help out the car thieves.

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I'm stuck in a jam. Should I fix up the old body or should I ge a new one anyway. The old one has horrible rust and hidden amounts of bondo in strange places. I'd like to do a "trophy winning" restoration on it but this body would take forever and would cost a lot more than an new body to fix. There is even rust on some of the inner body supports like to the left of the behind seat storage box and the bed (sort of) and the supports are gone. There is also some rust that's been caulked up on the interior backwall towards the bottom. As soon as I use up the roll of film I'll post a site with the pictures on it.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 08-29-99).]

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
If your goal is to build a trophy winning car, then winning by having a fake matching numbers car is not much of a victory. I am sure that many of the matching numbers cars out there are fakes, so you will have a lot of company.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've made up my mind and I think that I'm going to try to save the old body. I think that I'll have to learn how to weld first (I could save $$$)and get parts. Does the Fisher body manual tell the gaps between doors, tailgate, etc. and the body? There is some rust holes in the interior backwall of the car and I was wondering how that could be welded up without making it noticable. Someone else replaced the left qtr. panel on my car before and what I found was 1/4" thick bondo under the vinyl top where it meets the body.
PS- I just used up the old roll of film so as soon as I get it developed I will put them on a page in my website so I can get opinions from other people on whether or not it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
Shawn,
Without sounding like a legal zealot, changing the VIN numbers on the body IS illegal and could get you in big trouble in the future.

Another alternative would be to restamp the block to match the numbers on your new body (assuming you were to get one). For the record, I am against doing such a thing.

If you are really intent on having a "numbers matching" car, I would probably find a better body to mix with the good parts of your existing car, then sell it. Then, use the money to find a nice "numbers matching" El Camino. The amount of money that you will spend to fix up a rust bucket will probably be more than it's worth.

For what it's worth, I have a few 1970 El Caminos that I would sell to you. I am in the Houston, TX area.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here's how I see it, if your car is going to be an SS car in show condition and you really want to know that other people want to pay lots for it, who cares if it's numbers matching. It doesn't make it a better car, it doesn't increase performance, ride, or handling, so don't get yourself in a knot over it. I personally don't know why everyone thinks it's such a big deal. Even with the SS thing, as far as i'm concerned, if it has ALL the same parts and features of an SS then it is an SS. I don't care what the vin sais.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
http://member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Shawn: I feel that you have goen hrough a lot of searching the soul on this one. But, since you have 2 cars to make into one, you will do pretty well. Sure, it is a lot more work to steal the panels off the good car, but at least it will be legal. If you really need to make the numbers match, it would be easier to take the good car and re-stamp the motor to match ( I think that many do it after they deck then engine). This is not a recommmendation, just an observation.) This is why I do not place a high value on matching numbers cars. I have a '72 with matching numbers and it will soon not match because it will have a "new" '68 model 327 in it .Best Regards

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.