Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
New to the forum as I bought the Chevelle last fall. Got a restored SS idiot light dashboard at a auto swap meet and presently the car has the Malibu sweep style dash. Do I need to buy an all new dash harness or can the sweep style harness be made to do the job? Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. This topic was in the main forum, but best to post it here it looks like.

·
Registered
852 Posts
No you are going to have to get a new harness. The sweep style dash does not use a printed ciruit to work the lights in the dash. I am currently doing the exact same thing on my 72 clone.
I got a dash w/ printed circuit and wire harness so all I have to do is pull the current one out and replace it. If you do a search there are several threads that cover similar subjects and wiring for the dash in general.

Deon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,
Thx for the info. Hey 72SS, are you replacing sweep style with SS idiot light dash just as I am? If so, I would be interested in knowing how you are going to deal with the fuse panel. Seems from previous postings that guys who convert from sweep style to SS gauge dash may have to replace the fuse box as well.
I have a big schematic book on the 70 velle, but it only shows the dash leading into the fuse box, not how it actually connects to it behind the fuse panel. This job requires some research before I start the actual work. This project will be during the winter, so I figured I'd start early.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yes I have a 72 SS dash with idiot lights. The guy I bought it from included the printed circuit and wiring harness including the fuse block so I am pretty much set I guess I will need to verify that the contacts for the forward engine / light harness corespond correctly.

Deon

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The 70 and 71 dash harnesses are the same. The 72 has differences at the firewall. You can rearrange the wires if you have a schematic for both years. Harnesses for A/C cars are different than non A/C and Cars that came with consoles have extra wires and connector for that. Do your homework (which is what you are doing) before trying to swap out the dash harness. Don't take the schematic diagrams as gospel. I have seen errors. If something doesn't add up post it here for clarification.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys!!! I'm new here too.I'm trying to return a '70 malibu drag car to the street. Complete rewiring head lites to tail lites. A WORD TO THE WISE! When your finshed with your wiring. Take the battery out of the car. Hook up one of those small battery chargers set it on 12v. NOT 12v HI or 12 v start just 12v. Then test your lights and gauges and other circuit. This will save your car if you have any problems. I lost an '71 HO455 T/A like that. Good luck and be safe. RW1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts