Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a SS dash w/full insturments into my 1971 Chevelle Malibu Convertible 400SB/400 trans.My tack red lines at 6500, I believe this to be from a big block car? The speedo goes to 120 mph with light green numbers and markings, and I'm missing the small round light indicator cover that is between the tack and speedo and I'm wondering what that was? The only guage that works is my fuel guage. I left the S/B engine harness in and beleive I have to install the tack wire?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If your instruments have green tinted letters than they are for a '70 not a '71. '71 and '72 used white tinted letters. the 6500 redline is for a big block, 5500 was also for a big block (lower hp). You will need a new engine harness to run guages. Otherwise, you will have to run a couple of extra wires. Take a look at Jim Enrud's wiring diagrams. Did you get the wiring harness with your dash? If you did than you shouldn't have to move any wires around, just change your engine harness a bit and add a couple of wires. Here is the link to the wiring diagrams:

http://members.home.net/jimmy4/conversion.htm

you can use your current engine harness if you want, but you will need to take some time and make sure all the wires are routed correctly and are matched up with the pcb connector on the dash side. Plus you will have to add wires for the ammeter and a loose wire to the tach.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.