Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1 1/8 " front sway bar for my 65 el camino to go with a complete Global west suspension. The distance between the mounting bracket holes is much greater on the replacement bar. What is the proper procedure to bolt in the new larger bar? thanx Bob Myers NC

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since you have not gotten any replies. I would check with global West. It seems to me that the bar should be very close to the same size as the stock unit. I used an early 70's F body bar for my 67 project $20. It was the same width as the stock unit but 1-1/4 round.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I did the same thing with my 72 Chevelle. The only difference was that the mounting bracket holes supplied with my sway bar were slotted. If there is enough room to do so slot your brackets. lengthening the holes is unlikely to harm the bracket. If you have nothing else better a "rat tail" file and some patience will do the trick nicely.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had same thing when installed a larger bar on my 64. Instead of slotting the mounting bracket, I machined down the outside of the bushing to match the original mounting bracket and also re-tapped the mounts in the frame from original 5/16 I think, to a larger size (3/8) the same as used on later models.

Looks stock, stronger bolts and can easily be re-fitted back to stock.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I bought a 1 1/4" bar for my chevelle. If I had machined the new bushings to fit the old brackets there wouldn't have been much bushing left. I liked the slotted brackets. PST had obviously encountered this problem before me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx guys, After a close inspection of the aftermarket brackets which are slotted and a tip to use allen head bolts for clearance, my dilema is solved. thanx to all who responded. bob Myers NC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.