Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm overhauling the front end on my 67 SS.The problem i'm having is I can't get the threaded portion of the centerlink through the idler arm enough to wrench into the tapered pin. The idler arm is a 18633 TRW arm. This is the larger one and the centerlink is from National Part Group, It's more that likely from Taiwan. I have exchanged the idler arm for another one same problem. I exchanged the centerlink for another same. I tried the combination of all 4 parts together no-go. The next step was to buy a centerlink from another company (Year One). It's on it's way. If this does not work, What should I do?

------------------
Thanks In Advance!
John Corbin Member #313
67' Chevelle Malibu(Someday)
, NOT I will have a funeral for the Mailbu as a organ donor for my new 67SS396!!!!!!
Deltona, Florida
E-mail anytime,If I can help I will do my very best!

[This message has been edited by John Corbin (edited 01-17-2002).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
sounds like your idler arm is at an angle is that why the end won't go in? does it seem like if you could twist the center link it would go in? try bolting it together off the car if it goes o.k it maybe a bent frame horn.i know you did not want to here that. but if the stud is to large for the hole then you have mis-matched parts. you could drill the idler arm mounting holes larger to allow the idler arm to move a small amount but you should get the frame checked. let us know.JIMK

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,
It has nothing to do with the frame. The parts are allready off the car. You can bolt everything together on the ground first then attach it. I need to know if this is common for the stud on the centerlink to be that tight, and does it need to be pressed through the idler arm enough to install the nut and cotter pin?

------------------
Thanks In Advance!
John Corbin Member #313
, NOT I will have a funeral for the Mailbu as a organ donor for my new 67SS396!!!!!!
Deltona, Florida

[This message has been edited by John Corbin (edited 01-18-2002).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
john, it shouldn't be that tight it should come through the hole enough without much effort to put the nut on and when tight the cotter pin hole should line up with a slot in the nut.sounds like the taper of the center link is larger than the taper in the hole of the idler arm. they do make a taper bit for a drill to enlarge the hole in the idler arm but you have to go slow as not to enlarge the hole too much. napa probably sells this tool. i have done this before on race cars when we used mixed parts,I.E. center link for full size chevy and idler arm for smaller chev. and truck tie rods.hope this helps.JIMK

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
Just checking the obvious, but you aren't trying to put the idler arm stud in the hole in the center link that is intended for the tie rod end are you? If you have the right stud and hole matched up and it doesn't fit I'd have to guess you have the wrong part for one or the other.

This subject might do better in the Brakes/Suspension section.

[This message has been edited by Rich-L79 (edited 01-18-2002).]

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The centerlink goes in one place on the idler arm and the pitman arm. the tierod end bolts through the centerlink. So there really no way to mix this up in any way.Now you could swap end on the centerlink. This is not happening because I took photo before I removed everything.

------------------
Thanks In Advance!
John Corbin Member #313
Deltona, Florida

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.