Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 71 chevelle has the worst suspension in the world. I have been experiencing very hard impacts whenever i hit even a little bump in the road. I recently installed KYB GAs ADjust shocks and the problem has calmed down a little but not alot. would new springs help? I want not to feel any thing in the road, or is that possible?

·
Registered
368 Posts
If the springs have sagged, new springs will help. See page 0 A-11 of your Factory Assembly Manual for procedure for measuring ride height. "J" and "K" should be about 10".

·
Registered
321 Posts
Me thinks you should also look at new bushings for you control arms if that hasn't been done in the past. My original rubber bushings were completely knackered. I'm thinking that that may have had something to do with a ball joint pulling through one of the lower arms while I was driving (i.e. weird stress geometery and leverage.) The bushings are rubber cylinders with a metal sleeve through the center. The bolts for the control arm go through the centers. If the bushing is knackered than the innermetal sleeve has destroyed the cushioning rubber above it and can now rest against the outer metal case of the bushing. There is now little to no cushioning and a heck of a lot of play up and down.

You've mentione that you DO NOT want to feel anything in the road. You should go with stock rubber replacements. Rubber will give a more cushy ride but with a lower steering effectiveness due to the engergy of the corner being used in the rubber deflecting rather than turning the car. Your car came from the factory with rubber bushings. It's been a long time since then and rubber breaks down with age and UV exposure.

You'll hear about polyurethane bushings. Polys are stiffer. This means that they deflect significantly less providing for improved handling in the corners, but they also transfer ALOT of the feeling of the road to the drive through the steering wheel. The effect is disconcerting as you feel alot of feedback and are worried that the wheels are about to fall off. They can also squeak alot.

I personally went with PST's polygraphite bushings on my 70 SS396. They are graphite impregnated to reduce squeaks. I'm willing to live with the feedback and mild squeaks for the incredible handling they have given me. As you've said you want to not feel anything, so I'd recommend rubber bushings.

You'll hear about PST Suspensions talked about a lot around here. They have some great kits availible to completely redo your suspension.

For a walk-through of the job see:
http://www.employees.org/~ozyman/carstuff/

To see what your suspension looks like (and a really cool frame-off job in progress) see:
http://www.athenet.net/~chevelle/

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 01-25-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.