Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 1970 SS454 Chevelle or SS396 ...with droped spindles and so on.

I'm going to bring the car back to stock...and want it to be as new.

Who is the best supplier for proper rated replacement springs for these cars. (preferably some place familar with Chevrolets...lol). Maybe even some place that can tell me what the car is supposed to have...other than me telling them.

I'm also going to need quality a-frame bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends too.

If anyone has done this recently or has first hand knowledge of part numbers and suppliers...I would sure appreciate any input you have....especially if you have installed the springs/parts and are happy with them.

Thanks...Stan

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,966 Posts
www.rockauto.com

drill down to your car by make/model/year. Buy the better stuff they offer. Cheaper is not better.

look for disc brake non=dropped spindles at .www.piratejacks.net or ebay.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom...I'll do that.

I've been looking at front a-arms that already have new bushings and ball joints too. That would save a lot of time as far as making the underside look new.

The 396 site has them...but doesn't say a thing about the "brand" of bushings and ball joints. I suppose it's all Chinese.

OEM has a set...for twice the money, which makes it not really much of a consideration.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
There should be a chart in the A.I.M. for your car, that lists all the different spring rates. I.E. BB vs SB, Ac vs Non Ac etc. Terry

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still looking for correct listings for springs.

Pirate Jack link doesn't work andy more...and Rock Auto only has one spring for everything.

I haven't bought or hunted for a A.I. M. for my car yet...I did all that for a Corvette I did...wasn't much help on that one. So I'm dragging my feet going thru that again. I just want to buy some springs. My car is a mutt anyway...lots of stuff on it won't be as it came.

And issues with assembled a-arms...none I could find say who made the parts...Chinese I expect. I want new arms though, the car will look as new underside when I'm done.

Any one had any luck buying correct spec springs?

Thanks...Stan

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i believe may be there...but you have to look up all the apps to see if they differ any, or just list one for several applications. (whether there is difference different or not).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts