Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 coupe with AC which originally came with a 307. It had 11" rotors front disc and rear drum brakes. It originally had 14" Crager rims and tires. I'm down to the frame and I'm looking into new suspension and brakes after it gets back from being Hot Dipped Galvanized. I'm going to be putting a 454 in her. I'm going to be keeping the original front upper and lowers control arms. Lowers look good with no signs of stress cracks. I'm going to be putting new front springs and all new steering. All new bushings and ball joints of course. I will keep the rear springs and upper and lower traction bars. I want to make sure I have a good looking stance with no tire rub when done. I know there are a lot of variables. I want a good handling car. (lower center of gravity, slightly higher in back) This is going to be a weekend cruiser on mountainous curving roads. Does anyone have experience with this situation? I'd like to hear what you did or didn't do so I can learn without trouble down the road. (Springs, Spindles shocks ETC.) I want (max 16") tires and rims when done. Picture of your car's stance along with your details would be a big help in my decision making. I'm a Virgin and I'm a little bit nervous. :D I want to get it right the first time. Some advice from you all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Bob

·
Registered
253 Posts
hotchkis springs all around...i trimmed the front springs very little to get the stance. Poly bushings front and rear. Boxed rear control arms, but i have stock everything else. I cant go any lower or i would have issues with my headers. I got a 468/400 turbo combo

Attachments

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Here's mine before I tore it apart... too low to be practical, but too cool that way to raise it up to where it should be. :D

To handle well, you need #1 - good tires, #2 - Good shocks and matches springs, and #3 - correct the geometry.

#1 is easy - better tires = better performance

#2 is a little more complicated, spring rates and sway-bars need to be selected to balance the car, and shocks need to be in the range to be able to dampen the spring rates you've selected.

#3 depends on how much you want to spend. The best low-buck option is the stage II package from SC&C... the best all-around setup (short of custom fabbed) if the budget can support it is their Street Comp AFX package. :thumbsup:

Despite my own advice, the way my car sat in the pics above, I was running a pretty good setup, but with mediocre tires and shocks that were way out of their league. :clonk: (Time and budget constraints) It handled OK, but not great because I cheaped out where I needed to spend it most.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts