Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have been doing some body work and the good news is its alot more solid than I originally thought. The bad part is that the trunk pan and underside has alot of surface rust. Under the surface rust their is alot of rust pits. I have been using a cup brush on my angle grinder to remove most of it. Then I apply naval Jelly and rinse off. Is their better way other than blasting. i even used CLR with decent results. I dont want this rust to come back and I dont believe on miracle products.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I had similar issues on my 66 when I was prepping it for paint 16 years ago. I used a similar method by wire-brushing everything down to the metal and was still left with several black pits. I sprayed Os-pho in the pits and then epoxy-primered both sides. This must have been a good method because these areas still show no sign of deterioration.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a couple gallons of Evapo-rust. It was a waste of money. Naval Jelly works much better for surface rust. The Evapo-Rust may work good for dipping hardware, but doesnt work very good sprayed on. Evapo-Rust seems to be the same as CLR just a different name.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts