Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all. Over the past few years we've only really had one rule and I'm sure most everyone knows it, and that was NO supplier bashing.
I have a ton of email in my mailbox that insist it's 'my right to warn other hobbyists' or 'I can say whatever I want'.

Well, maybe you can, but it's not going to be on here.

Please... this is the last warning. Anymore bashing and I'm throwing the off switch on this forum.

believe me, this is 100% better than the option that I posted and removed just before this one.

Al

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Uh oh, did I miss something? Or did I say something wrong? Sorry.

------------------

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Al,
I am sorry about my recent post. I am new to this idea of ordering parts from companies in other states. I am just leary about spending a few hundred dollars on parts that you don't get to see until they arrive and you have given them your money.
I guess I need to have more faith in these vendors. After all they keep this hobby growing.
Greg

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
hey Greg,

I understand you hesitation, but you do have some recourse if there is a problem. Assuming you use a credit card, you can always call the credit card company and in most case, they'll reverse the charges.

And there's also the postal inspector. this is a great source (and very under used) for going after bad vendors.

So rest easy and spend away.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
648 Posts
guess i don't understand espically if someone has a reasonable gripe but you da man, what ever you say. i very much appriciate this site and all the info and relationships that grow from it. thanks for all of your hard work al and company.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think bashing vendors can be a bit like criticizing other people, behind their backs - no offense intended to anyone, guys. If you have a beef, it's best to address it with the vendor and not assume everyone will have a similar experience. I've dealt with a lot of the major vendors, including the one most aligned at this site, and have yet to have any problem. Large companies seldom stay in business if they don't have half-way reasonable return policies. And the advice on using a major credit card is the best advice. You can always dispute the charge with VISA - then it is up to them to resolve it with the vendor. I've done this several times and it always worked without a hitch.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
I think the best way to avoid any supplier bashing is to not discuss them at all. Any of them. Even if it is a positive comment, it usually eventually results in a negative comment about someone. I don't want to even think about this forum going away. I know it will be all but impossible to keep newcomers and those who don't see this post on the up and up, but you who read this PLEASE cooperate with Al and try to nip anything in the bud that could result in a "bash". Nip it, nip it, nip it. von

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I assume most of u were lucky enough NOT to have read Als first post, it was not pretty!! to say the least, I was on at the time the original post was posted, a word to the wise and senior members of this site: Be a bit of a sergeant of arms on these sites, if u see a post that isnt where it is sposed to b, let the person know where it should be, also if u see a post that u know is guuna become a thorn in the side send the original poster a email an let them know, I have done this umpteen time and normally its a new member less than 10 posts and they take my advise and politely change or trash the message, we can all work together to make things alittle easier on MR. AL and to hopefully attract a sponcer or two, I am a nobody to this site but I been here from almost the beginning like alot of us have and DO NOT wanna see the site shut down becayse its becomes too much greif to the guy that is its founder and its janitor(those are his words not mine)
so pay alittle attention to the details and lets try and help out where we can, Just one piston heads opinion, L89SEDAN, I shouldve paid more attention in spelling and typing

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I agree I don't want this forum shutdown it's a great help to everyone. I did miss the original post and from the sounds of it I'm kinda glad I didn't get to it. Al maybe you could put at the top of the forum in bold letters NO SUPPLIER BASHING so when new members logon they can see this and not touch on the subject.
Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
I want to put in my "I'm sorry" for posting a ad after returning from a swap meet with bad experience with a supplier. And yes, I'm a newby to the site....

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was pretty choked at the direction some of the postings tend to go and it almost always comes around to a misunderstanding of some kind, and it doesn't do this forum or anyone any good by talking about it on here.

OK, maybe Al needs to take a couple of days off

The notice about no supplier bashing is in the 'agreement' that everyone read and agreed to, (sure, I don't read those myself) when you joined this tech forum.

I'll close this on a positive note. After a very lengthy phone conversation, things are looking more positive around here.....

[This message has been edited by Al (edited 01-26-99).]

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
However, is it bashing when you state that you ordered a certain part from xyz company and the part had to be milled here and modified there so it would fit? There's a pretty fine line between bashing and stating what modifications are needed to make a part work. The next guy who orders this part needs to know what mods are needed. The difference, in my mind, is just state what is needed to make a part work and don't go cussing the xyz company for not making it a bolt on. Al, your opinion, please.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank God!!!! I was one of the apparent few who got to read some of the original postings by Al yesterday. I figured by the tone of things, it would be easier to just delete the site from my "faves" list than to have to come here and stare at a blank screen and scratch my head whenever I had a problem.

Al- thank you for deeming us worthy of another chance. It is very much appreciated.

sign me: "A user who will not supplier bash"

------------------
Later,

Rob
1BADS72

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I kinda agree with Randy. If you talk only about your experience with a part or vendor, backed up with only facts, is that really bashing? Granted, there is a fine line and I guess we can't leave it up to ourselves to decide what is appropriate so it is best not to discuss it at all. Once I complained about a parts vendor who decided to go out of business after cashing my check (without sending the part of course). Several people emailed me directly to find out who the vendor is and to recommend other reputable vendors. Maybe this is the way to go, because I think that it is a valuable service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually I'm surprised that this site has maintained it integrity, and professionality. Must have something to do with the administrator (good job Al). Usually as a site grows, and more users get involved, the quality of the forum begins to diminish. Lets keep this forum as informative as possible, and perhaps if someone gets burned by a bad vendor, they could take it outside to one of the auto news discussion groups.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
A good, safe thing to do would be make all supplier and manufacturer discussions by E-mail only. von

G

·
hey Al, what did you do? quit smoking or something?

Sorry guys, I had reached my personal limit on this. This forum isn't for ranting about any supplier and there were a couple that had gone toooo far. If there is a problem with an order, talk to the supplier, posting gripes here isn't the answer.

I'd like to toast this and carry on with the tech forum if that's alright with everyone. The email I received was right. 99% of the postings on this site are first class, sorry to have dragged everyone in on this one.

Al (admin)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.