Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come no one has put a Vortech or Paxton type blower on a carbed engine? You know what I mean, the ones that bolt up like an altenator, not as an intake. If I had the money I would buy one and fab up some sort of tube to connect it to the carb. I think it would be killer running a blower and keeping a stock hood. Any ideas?

------------------

ACES member #3339
Owner of 69' SS396 Chevelle

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are!

But centrifugal huffer with a carb is a pita. EFI is the only way to go with centrifugal, imho..

efficient and with 1000+ horse capabilities, but would leave that to SB EFI F-bodies...

but its your car and your call..

respects,
v8

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am running a blower and keeping a stock hood! I milled the air horn off of the Holley, and am using a 2" K&N airfilter on a recessed base. Fits just fine on my 68 with an SS hood.

------------------
Bob (Creedmoor,N.C.)
65 Vette B&M Blown, Richmond 5-speed
68 Malibu B&M Blown, Turbo 350 10" converter

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
In the 50's this was done by Kaiser, Studebaker and Fxrd. They had a special elbow that fitted over the air horn of the carb to push the air in there. It is not exactly simple to get it to work properly. Fuel pressure regulation becomes an important variable and bowl venting has to be done right.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Carbs are not designed to work in an above atmospheric pressure environment. While special modifications can be done to a carburetor to get it to work in a "blow-through" application they tend to be very crude and mixture control is pretty bad.

·
Banned
486 Posts
blow threw systems are also limited to around ten pounds of boost even with carb mods like solid plastic floats and external power valve lines and pressurized throttle shafts.when i turbocharged my small block i went with a draw threw setup to eliminate any of the above mods,carb setup is alot easier than with a blow threw at the expense of hood clearance.

also, at the turbo shop where i work, there is a guy who we are building a turbo for who wants to sell his paxton supercharger setup for 750.00.Its a complete blow threw with carb box,brackets,hoses,etc for a small block.if any of you guys are interested email me.

------------------
team chevelle#196
69 turbocharged mouse
texas

[This message has been edited by turbodave (edited 09-29-99).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.