Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 1981 3.42 geared super T10 went out. It was the iron case model.

I picked up another super T10 with 2.43 gears, with the hurst comp plus shifter, that ran in a 76 corvette.

The first problem that came up is that the speedo cable on this 76 tailhousing is on the passenger side rather than the driver side, so I need an extension for that. Where can I get one?

Next problem is that I cannot figure out what bolt thread size is on the tailhousing for the tranny mount. My 11/16 from the old tranny is too big and the 3/8 wont thread in. Neither will metric sizes. Anyone know of a specific thread size?

Lastly I had the same shifter on my 1981 st10 BUT this one has a slightly different mount setup. Will it fit and function once the tranny mount is bolted in?

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I am pretty certain the transmission mount bolts (Both going into the tail housing and the mount itself) are 7/16" coarse thread bolts. Someone must have put a heli-coil in your old trans. As far as the driver side speedometer housing. Every Super T I have seen has the passenger side speedometer housing. Got any pictures?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty certain the transmission mount bolts (Both going into the tail housing and the mount itself) are 7/16" coarse thread bolts. Someone must have put a heli-coil in your old trans. As far as the driver side speedometer housing. Every Super T I have seen has the passenger side speedometer housing. Got any pictures?
Old:

New:

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
I have one of those ST-10's out of a later Camaro,and it has those odd sized bolts on the tailshaft housing..They are metric,but I don't know what size.Worst case just swap tailhousings.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one of those ST-10's out of a later Camaro,and it has those odd sized bolts on the tailshaft housing..They are metric,but I don't know what size.Worst case just swap tailhousings.
Ok I will try a couple other metric sizes. Something along the lines of the 7/16 equivalent.

I would rather keep it all in one piece so I don't mess something up with the tailhousing swap. I have 0 tranny experience.

Are you referring to the old or new? I always thought later model camaros, 79+, were always the nodular iron case with the 3.42s.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
I don't remember what year exactly,I decoded it once,all I remember it was a Norwood trans,I believe in the late 70's.It is an aluminum case,with 2:64 first gear.Here's a link to some good info.

http://pontiacpower.org/BW.htm

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't remember what year exactly,I decoded it once,all I remember it was a Norwood trans,I believe in the late 70's.It is an aluminum case,with 2:64 first gear.Here's a link to some good info.

http://pontiacpower.org/BW.htm
I have used that site to decode these. Very good reference site.

Are you sure the iron one is a t10 and not a saganaw? I don't know much about manuals, I'm just spitballin here
Yes, I used the site stated above to devode it. The iron st10 was used behind a 305 flamingchicken.

The biggest problem really is the bolt thread and the shifter linkage clearance. I dont wanna have to bolt everything up just to realize I need to remount the shifter.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I am not a fan of that shifter. Every bend in the shift rods is a flexing point if shifting aggressively. It might cause gear jams which will mean you will need to get under the car and physically move the linkage. Are you using a factory 4 speed console?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am not a fan of that shifter. Every bend in the shift rods is a flexing point if shifting aggressively. It might cause gear jams which will mean you will need to get under the car and physically move the linkage. Are you using a factory 4 speed console?
Yes it was a factory 4 speed.

Well it's all I have to work with. I looked at the shifters again and looks like I will have to use the old shifter. No big deal though it worked perfectly fine.

Once I get these shifters dialed In even the 2/3 shift is flawless. I haven't had problems with them.

Edit: I dont know how a "thumb down" thing got there. It was accidental.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
That iron ST-10 looks like it's one from a 1982 Camaro / Firebird, not a 2nd gen Camaro / Firebird. From the picture, it looks as if I can see the reinforcement for the torque arm. That would explain the speedo output on the drivers side. It would also explain the problem with your shifter.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts