Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the warning light dashes look like the tach dashes? I know there are 6 gauges, but am wondering what is in place of the 3 larger gauges. I know that one is the Speedometer, is there still a tach, or is there a warning light that replaces it also? Does anyone have pictures of one of the dashes posted? Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
The 70-72 dashes that have "idiot" lights usually have in the 3 large holes (a clock or clock blank, fuel gauge, speedo) the 4 smaller holes contain a light for oil, water temp, battery, and a blank. i do not know of any idiot light dashes that came with a tach.
There may be some though. The gauge dashes had the tach,speedo,clock the smaller gauges were fuel,temp,oil,battery.

Jody Sirmans
71 SS454

·
Registered
321 Posts
For the pod layout of SS dashes see:

http://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html

The light dash did not have a warning light for RPM at all. And to get a tach you needed to order the full Gauges package.

I may be wrong but I think that the clock was another entirely seperate option from the gauges package. You could get a clock with the idiot light dash (that is how my 70SS was ordered.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I read through the "SS Dash" text at the www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html and have a question about the 1972 oval "Fasten Seat Belts" warning light.

Part of the text reads: "...All genuine '72 SS dashboards have an oval "Fasten Seat Belts" warning light. This light, if present in an
earlier car indicates a dashboard swap. If this light is not present in a '72 SS, then that also indicates a dashboard swap..."

My father, who is the restoration business, is the second owner of a genuine 1972 SS Chevelle (with the build sheet). The tach/gauge dashboard clearly has never been out of the car, and it does not have the oval "Fasten Seat Belts" warning light. The car was purchased in Iowa in early 1972.

Anyone know how many 72 SS Chvelles DID NOT have the oval "Fasten Seat Belts" warning light? Just curious...

Thanks,
Robert

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

·
Registered
246 Posts
It looks like the dash in the photo has been repainted with extra silver paint. Just the outer most edges of the gauges should be chrome. Signal lights, seat belt indicator and the like should be all black.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.