Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I had a good laugh on Friday after calling about a 69 Chevelle that was advertised in the local paper. It was a 2 owner car with "low mileage" for $2500, so I thought it was definitely worth the call. I get hold of the guy, and ask him if he can tell me more about the car. He tells me that the car is pretty rare, and asks me if I've ever heard of Yenko Camaros. I tell him I have, and he says that his car is a "Tongawonga Chevelle", which is just like a Yenko Camaro. He tells me that it has a decal on the valve cover to prove it. I explain to the guy that "Tonawonda" is the plant that built many of the Chevy engines, and that there's nothing rare about the car. He just kind of brushed it off and started telling me some other things about the car. The low miles turned out to be 140K, and the car was actually partially disassembled. Needless to say, I didn't bother looking at it. Sad thing is, he may just fool some newbie into believing in the "Tongawonga Chevelle"!

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
& the newest - '70 Malibu convertible!
[email protected]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rainer,
Truth is the car may still be worth taking a look at!!A big block Chevelle for 2,500 sounds good to me!!Regardless what the dummy owner thinks it is check it out anyway!Could you imagine a L78 2nd owner with full documentation!!!TONGAWONDA!!!!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Well, as a transplant to Buffalo ( most folks leave Buffalo not move here ), I'm happy to know that our fair city is gaining notoriety. Boy, I can't wait to get my Tonawango 427 runnin'!

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys -

I am a believer that you never know until you look at it, but this car is a small-block. The Tonawanda sticker also came on the valve cover of small-block cars, so there is no indication that anything about this car is special.

I bought a car last year that was advertised as a 70 Malibu with a factory big-block. I called the guy and asked him if it was an SS. When he told me it wasn't, I said that I thought you couldn't get the big-block without the SS package. Turns out his dad ordered the car new, and its the original motor. He says that he has this battle with the parts guys every time he has to buy something for the car. I decided to look at the car, and sure enough its legit - a real 70 400 Malibu. Needless to say, the car is now in my garage. So yes, you never know what you might uncover!

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
& the newest - '70 Malibu convertible!
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.