Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a read on the 406hp build on a 350 SBC called "The Chump Change Challenge" article. Kinda taken back about Super Chevy giving the node to Pro Comp's 190 heads, used in there build up. They make reference to Pro Comp's heads flow rates and the fact they come with new valves etc. But don't say any were in there article about pulling the heads apart and inspecting them.

Then they gave the node to Professional Products Hurricane intake at $125.00 bucks on E-Bay. The one and only Professional Products Hurricane intake I have seen in person, had some really bad castings going on. Not smooth and flush, holes in the casting. Not a very nice piece.

I understand Super Chevy was trying to put forth a cheap build. But in the long run could cost a lot more in repairs. Your thoughts please..

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention. They were using a junk yard 350. I have no problem with that. But they used the old roller lifters on the NEW Comp Xtreme Energy XR282HR cam. All in all to keep the build cost down.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
you can re-use roller lifters, it's flat bottom lifters you want to avoid re-using.

as far as the cheap china junk, look for them to become advertisers in the magazine with their ads coincidentally placed in and around the stories. IOW, the traditional approach.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can re-use roller lifters, it's flat bottom lifters you want to avoid re-using.

as far as the cheap china junk, look for them to become advertisers in the magazine with their ads coincidentally placed in and around the stories. IOW, the traditional approach.
Really..wow..

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
every thing you read in the mags is taken with a grain of salt-not saying its not on the up and up, but there are always things left out-who wants to see their product fail in an article, esp if their gonna advertise-i have contacted some co's that did test, more stuff than reported, lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I read that article my first thought was "wow, it should of made more power than that. Big cam, single plane intake and aluminum heads and all." I also agree that they should have really checked out the heads and listed the good and the bad. Guess now car mags are turning into the mainstream media and only reporting what they are paid to report not the truth. mark

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Guess now car mags are turning into the mainstream media and only reporting what they are paid to report not the truth. mark
The media reports what makes money (brings in viewers and therefore advertising dollars), and that is "sensationalist" journalism, apparently. Look at all of the tabloid stuff on FOX or CNN or any other mainstream news website/program. Not surprising that others might follow the same model.

Dependable horsepower, like truth, ain't cheap and easy.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I haven't read it yet....but look at it this way. There are some products available....they bolted them together and showed you what it did. I doubt they try to convince you this is the absolute best way to do it..just *A* way. But I'll wait 'till I read it to say for sure.

I gotta say though, I was VERY impressed with how Amos Publishing and Corvette Enthusiast Magazine handled me building that 555" motor. Not once did they ever tell me which parts I should use. They specifically told me to not limit my parts to advertisers and to pick what I wanted to use. If anything, they would use the articles after they were done to approach advertisers. I'm sure some of what I wrote wasn't highly appreciated by some Co's....but they never cut out anything I said. Now I didn't tell ALL in my dealings with some Co's, and even the magazine doesn't know it all, but that would serve no purpose.

JIM

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Nitrous oxide powershot or super ps system, alot cheaper than 1155.00
Bob, Have you been talking to Fryntyr? Sounds like the advice that Doc would give.:thumbsup:

We do have a large percentage of nitrous users in our group.:yes:

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I may be soon putting nitrous (125 shot) back on mine. My son ran quicker than me a week ago, his little 454 on nitrous went .06 quicker, need an equalizer. I might have to tie the front end down though ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
The media reports what makes money (brings in viewers and therefore advertising dollars), and that is "sensationalist" journalism, apparently. Look at all of the tabloid stuff on FOX or CNN or any other mainstream news website/program. Not surprising that others might follow the same model.

Dependable horsepower, like truth, ain't cheap and easy.
:yes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I haven't read it yet....but look at it this way. There are some products available....they bolted them together and showed you what it did. I doubt they try to convince you this is the absolute best way to do it..just *A* way. But I'll wait 'till I read it to say for sure.

I gotta say though, I was VERY impressed with how Amos Publishing and Corvette Enthusiast Magazine handled me building that 555" motor. Not once did they ever tell me which parts I should use. They specifically told me to not limit my parts to advertisers and to pick what I wanted to use. If anything, they would use the articles after they were done to approach advertisers. I'm sure some of what I wrote wasn't highly appreciated by some Co's....but they never cut out anything I said. Now I didn't tell ALL in my dealings with some Co's, and even the magazine doesn't know it all, but that would serve no purpose.

JIM

I went out and picked that up! Great unbiased writing. It gets old seeing all the Professional Products balancers and parts of similar quality showing up in otherwise decent builds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts