Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 734 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, the wheels are in motion. RAMBO Ben has been waiting at least two, closer to three years for this:yes:.....

Background:
For you newer guys out there....Since the time before Ben got his crate 454HO in late 05 (?) for his 68 SS Elky, I have been scheming, plotting, trading, towards a 454. I went so far as to open my trap as I am prone to do and state a low buck build could take on his 454HO. Lots of things have come to pass since then including Ben's superb 12.95/106 run just days ago......

Even earlier:
350 'solutions' for quicker ETs would put me over budget. Weight of car would mean 383 cubes minimum, 400 would be preferred. Some years back I started to gather parts for a 406 SBC.....needed a lotta upgrades for the shortblock, $$$. Then there was the cost of cyl heads to make larger Mouse Motors run. I couldn't justify $1000 or $1200 for heads alone. This was before the days of Team Chevelle, probably even before me, Berg, and Ben on internet. I had a set of built BBC heads with say 2000 miles in the garage. Got me to thinking low-cost BBC alternatives..... Got me remembering that the worst BBC heads flow about what the best street SBC heads do. This lead to early contact with Berg over "454s and parts-Arlington" ad on Craigslist. Probably a year transpired before I ever went up there. Got into some "427 mutual admiration" stuff when we discussed very similar engines in our cars (Except Berg going NUTZO on the cam).

Super Budget 454 Goals:
o Engine must be suitable for daily use.
o Installed, it must not draw attention to itself so hope the new long-case Hemi Super Turbos pass the muster
o Must get good as/better mpg as a built 350
o Minimal budget with remodel and daughter in college....
o Should run low 13s and get me off the Slow-Guy position
Not gunning for anyone, just looking for a bit more fun....15 sec runs just don't cut it!

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The 2-bolt 454 block is clean, has new cam bearings and freeze plugs.
It has a hone job courtesy of DOC. Thanks DOC for the initial inspection of the goodies and the HONE.
The crank is a stock/uncut but polished nodular iron unit
I have bearings and an oil pump M-77 from DOC
I'll have some cast rings today...no frills.....
Cleaning the pistons...std bore cast stockers.....
Rods are THUMB
Heads are my low-mile take-offs from the RatVette, 101cc #063 1968 castings. Heads just cleaned and inspected...all the spiders and wood chips from remodel projects have been removed.
I have a Perf 2-O intake, several carbs and HEIs to play with.
Some cam options from my inventory or possibly from your garage/shop.

By my calculation, this should give me 8.8:1 CR and like "12-Second Ben" the engine should sip UL Regular at the pump most of the time. Maybe even pass a gas station from time to time.....probably 410 hp/490 ft lbs. Looking for high average numbers here not high peak numbers.

Costs:
$200 for the shortblock
$50 trade for bearings and oil pump
$230 for deluxe block service, a few busted bolts removed, crank polished, heads cleaned and inspected.....
Really not sure how left-over stuff in my garage should be considered in the accounting.....

When will it live:
Don't even think about early JUN..:noway:...I still need some odds and ends but with what I have now....no reason not to get started on the short block. I'll be after the neighbor Dennis for BBC gaskets...he has a stash. For sure will need some rear main seals ASAP for the shortblock build.

Trial fit #1 for compression height:

Bread and Butter build

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
I love welfare buildups. :thumbsup:

That combo is similiar to a build did years ago with a friend using a TQ20 sig erson can and everything else the same as you are using and ended up putting it in a 66 BISCAYNE with a 4-speed and 4.56's. Effortless 4 gear burn outs and would crush the 425 HP 427 we pulled out to set in the corner.

With traction, that torque monster will surprise a few. Good luck

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woulda been cheaper and smarter to take you up on the Rent-A-Rat (R-A-R) Darryl. That 454 from the back corner of your shop woulda been fun.....just not mine to thrash....
My engine and the R-A-R should be comperable in power...only mine won't smoke!

Maybe PNBen can move up to the R-A-R while his 454 goes together!

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Congratulations on moving forward George. :thumbsup:
Hope it all goes together smoothly and performs as the Doc says it should.:yes:

With your converter, gearing, plus suspension upgrades you should have a very streetable cruiser that will give a lot of people fits.:beers:

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I did get the rings today...just back....Baxter's Parkland, old Parkland National near Pacific Lutheran Univ.....thanks for the tip on Baxter's Mark:thumbsup:
They just needed a few hrs to get the rings from ??? to the store. Perfect Circle units.
I got a pump screen too. Different-looking than I remember. I went to the back to see "Dave the Machinist." He says I did have the correct 'newer style' screen. I asked him if he had a spare oil pump bolt. Bingo!:yes: His business is now separate from the parts business and goes by Parkland Auto Machine.

I used to live off 119th street at Pacific, they are 127. They were my go-to guys for small parts when I got RatVette running in late 1993

Greg,
Thanks for the encouragement.
I have all the susp stuff except the shocks. I'll order them with the longer mufflers.
I know I've gone from 10.2:1 and solid cam to 8.8:1 and one of the hyd cams.....but the results should be similar....melted back tires!

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing with that 350 so movin up to BBC country

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gene,

Thanks for checking in. I am torn between short duration to make up for lower 8.8:1 CR but having enough duration for FRI night events....

I'm beginning to regret trading away my Crane 228/228* .544/.544" 112 LSA cam

I have that GMPP/Summit/Crane-ground 228/238* .540/.540" 114 LSA
(I believe these are a common boat cam)

I have your old cam Crane solid 238/248* .544/.567" 114 LSA .022/.022 lash
(probably too much cam with this CR)

BrIan locally is after me to get his take-out Comp 230/230 .520/.520" 110 LSA
(it went 12.01 in a 9:1 454)

Doc said a Erson TQ-20 was "da bomb" 214/214* .514/.514" 112 LSA
(good low-buck engine cam...tons of torque)

Keith Tedford PM'd 'Cam Dynamics 272 Energizer'
I understand to be the Crane Energizer 103052 216/216* .515/.515" 110 LSA

The ISKY 264 Mega 214/214* .525/.525" 108 LSA
says tremendous torque and midrange, stock converter, good idle
108 LSA....not sure how good idle and 108 LSA are in the same sentence!
Sounds like a Berg Drag cam...... good idle I assume means 'ok for power brakes?'

Then of course the VooDoo 60201 or 60202
60201 213/219* .515/.530" 112 LSA
60202 219/227* .530/.542" 112 LSA

Chris 'mr 4 speed' says do not get all wrapped-up in this, BBCs not terribly sensitive to CR as long as you have 'some'

I sent an email to Delta Camshaft, 18 minutes from here. My car data and 'want it all' goals so waiting to hear what they have to say. They can grind my 228/238 any which way from Sunday if I decide to deviate

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was kinda hoping to generate some interest here in bottom-feeder cams Dave.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Sweet George:thumbsup: Are you posting the 454 build to take attention off of the Rat Vett?? Still need to get it to the track:D
Hope the 454 makes the elky haul :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet George:thumbsup: Are you posting the 454 build to take attention off of the Rat Vett?? Still need to get it to the track:D
Hope the 454 makes the elky haul :thumbsup:
Kevin,
I hadn't thought of that!
Yup, I did promise.
Lookin' at adding the Vette's safety stuff and removing excess rubber fuel line soon then finishing the tune.....test run on the way to get aligned. Think I am pretty close.....

What kinda DCR do you come up with for the isky 264? Low duration would be good for that small compression, and the tight lsa is fun. Just keep highway gears and youd be fine.
I've not run the DCR, you are welcome to! That Isky 264 is far off the beaten path with 108 LSA yet 'good idle' so I have some learning to do to figure out how. 108 to me means drag car idle....and forget about power brakes...

Delta Cams was behind the power curve....down three machinists so Steve and John were grinding cams and packing stuff before UPS arrived. One lame suggestion which I laughed at...... ....thinking something in the 214-220* area and a lotta lift but they want to ponder this a bit....
They will get back to me when things are less hectic

I'm still cleaning pistons.......
My gasket guy went to Cali for a week.....I should be ready before then....

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
I really like the steetability of the 286 Powermaster, but I have to wonder about it. Mine is very noisy, some have said it has steep ramp's, like a CC, and that's the where the noise come's from.

I dunno.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Dave!
Got any ideas on how a short duration, short LSA cam works?
Say 217* dur @ .05" and 108 LSA
Two cams like that have popped-up

1 - 20 of 734 Posts