Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new sun visors (that do not include the brackets) and was going to use some nice used chrome brackets. Except I can't get the rod into the bracket without tearing the bushing. I even broke one bracket trying to open it up with a flat blade screw driver.
Are the rods in the repopped visors a larger diameter than original? So what's the trick to putting these together? If I lube the rod, will it tend to let the visor fall down? (no lubed rod jokes
)

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Doug,

I had the same problem on my 1969. I have come to believe that the word "repop" actually means "some rework will be required".

The way I got mine in was I put the bushing on the end of the rod and used a little white lithium grease on the busing. Then I layed the chrome brackets out in the sun in the driveway for about an hour. After I installed the visor in the car and tightened the set screw on the bracket they stayed in place just fine even with the grease on them.

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
33 Posts
Doug,
Like you, I broke one of my visor brackets trying to pry it open. Anyway, after purchasing new brackets & bushings and putting everything together, I couldn't get the brackets tight enough to keep the visors in place. I ended up cutting a piece of plastic soda straw to length and put in with the bushing. It provided just the additional thickness I needed to make the visors work perfectly. May not be as the factory intended, but it worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts