Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use Summit's kit that converts an externally excited alternator (two or more wires) to the one wire set up (internally excited)?

I'm in the middle of getting everything together for my rewire job and would like to go to a one wire setup to reduce clutter.

I don't need more than the 63 amps that my current internally regulated alternator puts out, so there's no way I'm gonna spend the extra money for the high amperage alternators.

I'm gonna order this kit (p/n SUM-1667) unless I hear any significant negative experiences with it.

Thanks,

Chad

·
Registered
169 Posts
Chad,
I purchased and used the exact kit that you are talking about. I have a '69 Camaro that previously had the external voltage regulator and all the wiring that goes with it. With this kit I was able to get rid of all that clutter and actually remove the wiring from the engine harness itself. Makes for a much cleaner engine compartment. I highly recommend the kit.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Summit shows the part as "no longer available".

The good news is that I found another source at http://www.restoresource.com where there are also online instructions for the modification.

Hope this helps someone else who's interested in converting their alternator.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is some text I copied from another board on using 1 wire alternators. It is from '67 - '72 truck board, so I would assume that the wiring is very similar to a Chevelle.

Here is what I did you need to do: There is a plug with 4 terminals that originally ran into your regulator. One of the wires is that 10 guage red wire. There is also a brown wire. You will need a plug out of a 1-wire, easily gotten from a junkyard or a packrat friend. From the regulator harness, run the thick red wire to the positive terminal on the alternator. Run the brown wire to the brown wire on that plug you got from that friend. Put a closed loop terminal on the end of the thick red wire left on this plug, and run it like a loop to the positive terminal. (Now you have 2 wires on the positive.) Now all you have left is the 2 wires from your regulator harness. Strip and twist them together. Obviously you might need to lengthen the red and brown wire to achieve a good route, but for the meantime you can just hook it up and see that it does, in fact, work. It seems to be mind-racking, but after you have done it once it makes sense what you are doing. Maybe the fact that I am electronics tech bears some on my level of comprehension.

OK, so that's semi-clear, but I think this is a pretty simple conversion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chad,
I did the conversion a couple years ago. I bought my kit from MAD Enterprises. Kit comes will all the necessary instructions. Works perfectly. They are out of Springfield, CA. Phone # (209)539-7128 and talk to Mark Hamilton, he is the wiring expert. He can tell you what alternator to get and anything else you might need. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.