Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see or have any problems with this 4:10 ring/pinion being used in an OEM 12-bolt 3 series carrier?

Summit Racing offers two different 4:10 sets for a 4 series and a 3 series.

Charles

·
Administrator
17,187 Posts
Chinese manufacture ?
Nothing wrong with a thick 4.10/4.11 set for a 3 series carrier but make sure what your getting.
Think I'd go to the 4.11T Yukon.

·
Gold Founding Member
4,193 Posts
I used the thick 4.10s made by U.S. Gear and sold by Strange. The set is American made.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
I've never heard of these things being a problem. Lots of guys have saved lots of money with them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I used the thick 4.10 in a 3 series carrier behind my 540 with 12 bolt...help up just fine.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Just wondering out loud...

Are there any "thick" three series gears to use on a two series Eaton Posi?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
And I wouldn't even consider a spacer.
I am aware of all the issues with using a spacer...and although I've never seen thick 3 series gears offered, I figured I'd ask.

·
Gold Founding Member
4,193 Posts
Hi Bill,
You would think Thick 3 Series Gears for a 2 Series Carrier would be manufactured.
A 8.5 Ring Gear is thicker than a 12 Bolt Ring Gear. For added strength, I would prefer a thicker ring gear.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I am aware of all the issues with using a spacer...and although I've never seen thick 3 series gears offered, I figured I'd ask.
Hop on the trans/drivetrain forum and check with Tlowe(Tom Low) or biggearhead(Freddie) about this. Those guys usually know what works, what dont, and they have part numbers to rattle off right off the top of their heads. If the part exists, at least one of the two will know it and probably sell it.

Concerning summit gears....it wouldnt surprise me if they could tell you who actually manufactures these as well.

I know richmond makes a 4.10 for a 3 series, which is what I was reccomended. right now......I still have a 5.13 richmond gear on my 3 series with a spacer. This would never be my first choice, but initially I just worked with what I had available. My power level started small and has slowly grown to a respectable level, but I havent broken anything yet. But yeah.....I'll be tearing it apart again soon enough and going with the thicker ring gear and a "milder" gear. Maybe I'll even go "soft" and put in a 3.73 ;)

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Hi Bill,
You would think Thick 3 Series Gears for a 2 Series Carrier would be manufactured.
A 8.5 Ring Gear is thicker than a 12 Bolt Ring Gear. For added strength, I would prefer a thicker ring gear.
EXACTLY my line of thinking Tory! :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts