Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with this kit from Summit? I'm thinking of pulling the frame next year to take care of a few issues and came across this kit. I've seen similar kits but was wondering how this one fits. I don't care for the soggy factory frame the way it is, but I'm not gonna go ape **** with it either. TIA.

· Registered
425 Posts
This looks like the HPI kit. Never used it. Personally, since you're pulling the frame, I would strongly recommend the Hellwig kit. It's a little more welding, but it's in the same price range, is a superior system (with proven numbers), and has less jungle gym. It's not hard to install with the frame out of the car. I can tell you the positive difference is VERY noticeable.

· Registered
1968 El Camino, 327, M20, 'Glass tilt front, Jag IRS....
887 Posts
Hmm, I have question any real benefit here since I already have the factory boxed El Camino frame under my El Camino. Even after these mods the frame remains a basic mostly flat ladder type.
I expect adding a roll-cage and engine bay braces will do more.

· Registered
429 Posts
The Summit frame kit and others are where people should not see the changes where the roll cage will interfere with people getting in or out of the car. Engine bay braces also interfere with some engine work, also braces work better in a unibody car instead of a framed car. Better body bushings also will help. The biggest test will be to jack up one wheel and see if you can open the car door after frame work or before.

· Registered
16 Posts
I’m having a bit of an issue installing this kit on my 66 frame. I’ve removed a bunch of material from the rear control arm mounts to bring the kit in. I’ve tried to use the front locate holes that HPI/summit suggest using but can’t see how they could possibly work. I spoke with HPI on the phone and they are suggesting maybe cut the mounting plates off the ends and adjust kit to my liking.

Im wondering if anyone else has had any issues with this kit. My frame was checked for square before it went to sand blasting.

· Registered
125 Posts
I’m having a bit of an issue installing this kit on my 66 frame. I’ve removed a bunch of material from the rear control arm mounts to bring the kit in. I’ve tried to use the front locate holes that HPI/summit suggest using but can’t see how they could possibly work. I spoke with HPI on the phone and they are suggesting maybe cut the mounting plates off the ends and adjust kit to my liking.

Im wondering if anyone else has had any issues with this kit. My frame was checked for square before it went to sand blasting.
I am in the middle of installing my HPI kit on my 71 Chevelle frame and I'm having the same issues as well. I'm using a lot of clamps and ratchet strap to get mine to meet The Frame & line up. I'm also having to trim a lot of the frame kit to get everything to work. I have also talked to HPI and have not really gotten any genuine answers to really help. The slots in my crossmember for the transmission do not line up as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.