Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a Sumitt Racing exhaust system #680121 for A-bodies. Everything was fitting perfect until I got to the pipes which go after the mufflers and over the rear axle. I have about a 2 inch space between the pipe and the muffler. I tried not putting each pipe so far into its mating pipe but still have about a 2 inch gap. Anyone else who has installed this system have this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
I bought the jegs kit, I really felt kind of silly but I had the pipes flipped, the kit had no instructions, a friend of mine came over and saw the error in my ways. I don't know if that helps but try it. Jim

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I am in the process of doing this with the 3" version and I have had the opposite problem with too much pipe almost everwhere. Of course I am using 22" long mufflers instead of the recommended 14" but that math alone does not explain the 11" of pipe I have cut out.

That said, there are a lot of variables between these cars. Where the header exits are, both fore/aft and side to side can vary. Muffler lengths and offsets. Wheelbase between coupes/sedans/wagons/Caminos.

You should be able to get an extension with expanded slip end and put between the front and back mid-pipes to make it work.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
I am in the process of doing this with the 3" version and I have had the opposite problem with too much pipe almost everwhere. Of course I am using 22" long mufflers instead of the recommended 14" but that math alone does not explain the 11" of pipe I have cut out.

That said, there are a lot of variables between these cars. Where the header exits are, both fore/aft and side to side can vary. Muffler lengths and offsets. Wheelbase between coupes/sedans/wagons/Caminos.

You should be able to get an extension with expanded slip end and put between the front and back mid-pipes to make it work.
Me too, I had to shorten all the sections to make it fit my 69..

·
Team Member , Vegas TC Ambassador
3,349 Posts
I'm gonna have to say that, with the exception of minimal differences between "generations" ('64-'65,'66-'67,'68-'72,etc...), the wheelbase will be the same. El Camino and wagon frames are a few inches longer, but that's all behind the rear wheels.

The header length is generally the culprit, sometimes the same part number from the same manufacturer will vary in length from one year to the next. I had this happen with Hedman Headers once, however, there had been many years between purchases. Originally the lengths right to left were similar, but upon replacing a damaged header (replaced the set), one side extended further back than the other. This after ordering the same part number and everything.

I wouldn't be so quick to "whack" or "extend" the pipe. I think that the probability that the pipes are flipped/ reversed is highly likely. In fact, I too have made this mistake (not on my car). By looking at the illustration, I swore up and down that I had them laid out correctly, only swapping sides for sh!ts and giggles. Actually, I thought that I could get them to fit better backwards. When they went together damn near perfect, well you know the saying....."I too, thought that I was wrong once.....BUT, I was mistaken".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts